Problems with TM

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Problems with TM

Post by Mikerowaved »

Anyone else having problems with Technology Manager? It's reporting none of my 3 buildings have checked in over the past 48 hours and is showing a Critical Warning for their online status, yet the Internet to the buildings are all fine.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Problems with TM

Post by russellhltn »

I'm seeing the first 3 of 5 haven't checked in. I'm not sure if it's a problem with TM or a new script was pushed out and the firewalls may be functional, but not "calling home".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I had one not checking in for a while, then two, and now three of five. They all seem to be working just fine, so I attribute it to a TM error. I'm guessing it something in the check in code, not the actual working of the firewall itself.

They seem to have gone out in the order they were configured to the new software, so the last two should stop phoning home in the next week or two.
jlhunt

Post by jlhunt »

I just checked and the only 881to be updated hasn't checked in since last week. I'm not going to hold off upgrading the other 6 until we see what happened.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I've just checked the only firewall that has the new configuration, in our Stake. It's showing all the Cisco devices (using Mac address), under User, duplicated with a different IP address for each one. The firewall has been reset, don't how or why in the last couple of hours.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:duplicated with a different IP address for each one.
I think I saw that immediately after the upgrade, but it disappeared in time. Not sure/can't remember what triggered it to disappear.

Two of the three buildings that were out have come back on-line. The last one is on 4G, which tends to go out quite a bit. So that could easily be real.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
Biggles wrote:duplicated with a different IP address for each one.
I think I saw that immediately after the upgrade, but it disappeared in time. Not sure/can't remember what triggered it to disappear.
The upgrade for this firewall was done early September. So I don't think that is the issue.

I've just been informed that there was a power cut to the building earlier today, but I'm certain the duplication was there before that happened. As a matter of habit I normally check the firewall status every morning.

The firewall is connected to a UPS so that doesn't explain the reset, unless the power cut was longer than the backup time for the UPS. The TM log shows that communication was lost for approx 37 mins.
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CleggGP »

There may be a bug in the firewall iOS that causes it to stop reporting. You should not delay upgrading firewalls for this issue. As noted the firewall is still functional, but it stops “phoning home” to TM. In this case restarting the firewall usually resolves the issue. After a firewall restart it sometimes takes a while for the status to be updated in TM, so be patient.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

As a followup, Sunday afternoon I called the help desk and reported the problem. They said the team that could solve things like that wouldn't be in until Monday and they opened a trouble ticket for me. Before I could call them on Monday, I noticed that around 9:30 am MST one of the firewalls starting reporting again. An hour later another one came online, and about a 1/2 hour later I saw my third one.

If you are still having problems, give the help desk a call. Apparently, they have the connectivity they need to fix things from their end.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

This might not be worldwide yet, but there have been a few updates to TM overnight. Checkout the tab additions.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”