Household names

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
hollingergems

Household names

Post by hollingergems »

How do you change the Household last name if it has you under the wrong one? It has me being under the wrong Household name and I need to change it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Household names

Post by russellhltn »

You have to work with the membership clerk of your ward.

There is a field in MLS called "Household name". It applies to the entire household.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
emilewis

Post by emilewis »

When I got married I did not legally change my name. However the ward clerk did -- without my permission. I have asked multiple times and have waited 1 year and they have still not changed it back to MY name. It's extremely frustrating and borderline sexist. Can you please help me change my name. Also, please consider letting members make these changes on their own and consider how families with different last names can be clumped together.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

emilewis wrote:Can you please help me change my name.
This is a user-to-user support forum. No one here has the ability to make that change. You need to work though your clerk. Note that church policy is that the name is to be the person's legal name. So you shouldn't be getting any resistance to making your name your legal name. The name change shouldn't take longer than a couple of days.

If he's having problems making it happen, send him here. We'll point him the right way.

emilewis wrote:and consider how families with different last names can be clumped together.
Currently the family is lumped together under a "household" name. Once you open that to see the individuals, you'll see the individual last names. Which raises a question - are you sure your name hasn't been changed but you're still under a household name?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Just in case you're uncertain of how your name would appear if it is changed, but grouped (as indicated by russellhltn): Suppose your name is Mary Smith and you married David Chan. The directory would look like this:

Chan, David & Mary
  • Chan, David
  • Smith, Mary
A current limitation of the directory search is that no one would be able to find you by searching the last name "Smith". They would need to search for "Chan" or "Mary", but once they find you, they would see you have a different last name.

Your forum profile does not include which country you're in. The behavior may have some differences by country.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Note that "Household" is a separate name. So in the above example, it could be listed as:

Chan-Smith, David & Mary
  • Chan, David
  • Smith, Mary
However, the household would still be in the "C"s.

mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn, that's a good point that we could set a separate household name. I hadn't thought about that option. We have someone in our ward with that situation. I'll ask them if they have a preference on how their name is listed in the directory. I can't find a way to change the household name in LCR. I guess that feature is still limited to MIS?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”