Disabling Study Mode

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
PamelaBonta

Disabling Study Mode

Post by PamelaBonta »

Is there a way to disable Study Mode? People who use text readers are having difficulty in their classes where they are required to be signed in to their LDS Account to access course material, but even when they do not click on Study Mode on the bottom toolbar, their text readers are having trouble.
mevans

Re: Disabling Study Mode

Post by mevans »

Are you talking about screen readers for low vision/blindness purposes (like JAWS) or just a text reader app that tries to read in a natural voice? If so, is there any product in particular people are trying to use?

I don't know the differences in approaches between the two types of products, but at software companies I've worked at that cared about US government contracts, we made sure our apps worked with JAWS.

You might try accessing the material in a language other than English just to see if the text reader works (if it supports other languages). The study mode is only available in English. That might be a way to see if it's the general page layout vs. study mode causing the problem.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

None of the people whom I had write in to me have indicated which type of text reader they use. Most of them have low or no vision, so I am assuming they are using readers recommended by associations for the blind.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

PamelaBonta wrote:Is there a way to disable Study Mode? People who use text readers are having difficulty in their classes where they are required to be signed in to their LDS Account to access course material, but even when they do not click on Study Mode on the bottom toolbar, their text readers are having trouble.
I'm not aware of any case where anyone is "required to be signed in to their LDS Account to access course material." If you were starting from the Lesson Schedules tool, then yes, you would need to be signed in. But to view actual manuals or scriptures, there is no requirement to be signed in.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

Not for a Sunday church course, but apparently for other courses. One person mentioned a Pathways course.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

PamelaBonta wrote:Not for a Sunday church course, but apparently for other courses. One person mentioned a Pathways course.
Pathway is the BYU-Idaho online degree program. It includes an Institute Book of Mormon religion class. The folks at BYU-I or the CES/Institute program might be able to help with that one.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I don't know what the church sites do in terms of Section 508 compliance. Although the Pathway FAQ says reasonable accommodations will be made for disabilities, it's a private pre-matriculation program and may not be required to follow Section 508. I agree that checking with the Pathways program is probably the best approach to begin (and hopefully the Pathways program didn't just refer the person to PamelaBonta for help).

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”