Recording the death of an excommunicated member

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cdw3423lds

Recording the death of an excommunicated member

Post by cdw3423lds »

I have received a request to record the death of a member of my ward that was excommunicated. Does anyone know how I would do that or where I would start?

I have their name, Birth date, Death Date and a code of some kind that was said to be their membership record number. However that code is simply 3 letters a dash and 3 letters. I have no idea what that might be since it is nothing like any membership number I have seen before.

Thanks
Chris W
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Recording the death of an excommunicated member

Post by russellhltn »

You could use MLS to send a message to membership, or contact Local Unit Support. I think I'd prefer the latter just for the feedback that the message had been received.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cdw3423lds

Post by cdw3423lds »

At this point I don't think it matters anymore. I was asked to do this because a family member wanted to do temple work for the individual and they were told that I had to enter a death date so the person would show up in Family Search. If the member wasn't excommunicated I'm sure I would need to do that, and doing so would be easy.

In any case they called me back saying they received an email stating the record was cleared and now it shows up in Family Search so I guess I don't need to do anything after all. Apparently they need to get approval from the Church to do the temple work because the member had been excommunicated and in that process I guess someone recorded the death date.

Chris W
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cdw3423 wrote:Apparently they need to get approval from the Church to do the temple work because the member had been excommunicated and in that process I guess someone recorded the death date.
The death date was important because they have to wait a year, normally, to do the temple work for the member. They also needed First Presidency approval.

As russellhltn said, your avenue to record the death date would have been either a message through MLS messaging or to have called Local Unit Support. But as you mentioned, there is nothing left for you to do if the death date is recorded and the name now shows in FamilySearch. The rest is up to the family, and it sounds as if they are well on the way.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:But as you mentioned, there is nothing left for you to do if the death date is recorded and the name now shows in FamilySearch.
I'm not so sure. The name could appear in FS from any number of sources that have no connection to the membership record. In this case, because they are working with the First Presidency to clear the name, I think it will get straightened out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”