Donation not recorded before money was sent to bank

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jrdjacob

Donation not recorded before money was sent to bank

Post by jrdjacob »

This is an issue that came up in tithing settlement and only recently we have been able to find the cause, now I was wondering how to proceed.

A sister in our ward said her settlement information was correct except it was missing a single donation. That donation was by check and she was able to confirm it had cleared the bank and had our ward's stamp on the back (so yes it was donated with us). My first thought was it must have been recorded under some other name, but searching through our records around the time of donation I couldn't find a donation of that amount with the right check number.

Eventually we searched all the tithing slips we retained during the month of the donation and found the slip for the missing donation with her name on it for the right amount. My only guess is that some how we must have neglected to enter the information into MLS but put the check into the deposit envelope.

So my question is how to fix this. How do I add the donation to MLS without the check being deposited that week. I can't seem to add it to a closed batch, so will it create problems to add it to a new batch when there is nothing to send to the bank.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Donation not recorded before money was sent to bank

Post by russellhltn »

My guess is that you're going to have to call CHQ on this come Monday. What puzzles me is why this wasn't caught sooner since the deposit from MLS wouldn't have matched what the bank processed. I'd think that would create an exception somewhere. (Unless this was a recent deposit and the notice just didn't work it's way to you.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jrdjacob

Post by jrdjacob »

russellhltn wrote:My guess is that you're going to have to call CHQ on this come Monday. What puzzles me is why this wasn't caught sooner since the deposit from MLS wouldn't have matched what the bank processed. I'd think that would create an exception somewhere. (Unless this was a recent deposit and the notice just didn't work it's way to you.)
It was fairly recent, the first week of November. I looked at the list of exceptions for November's unit statement but couldn't find anything there.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jrdjacob wrote:How do I add the donation to MLS without the check being deposited that week. I can't seem to add it to a closed batch, so will it create problems to add it to a new batch when there is nothing to send to the bank.
I would call Salt Lake on Monday. Let them know what happened and let them verify that the bank received more than the amount on the deposit slip.

Once that is verified, Headquarters may ask you to prepare a new batch for that deposit date since, as you said, you cannot add the donation to the already closed batch. The new one-person batch would equal the amount of the extra money deposited that week.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”