Twittervision for Conference

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
smithmj-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Twittervision for Conference

Post by smithmj-p40 »

Not sure how many of you use Twitter, but there is a site called Twittervision, which superimposes the messages sent to Twitter on a world map.

Something like this would be interesting for Conference time. It could show only the messages of people who would like to opt-in or it could show the messages that match keywords that we are listening to from all Twitter users (e.g. elder, monson, etc.).

Sites like this encourage conversation and new friendships as people respond to the messages that they view.

I personally do not have the skills to pull something like this together but maybe someone else here has made similar apps that could help.

What do you all think?

Thanks.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

smithmj wrote:Not sure how many of you use Twitter, but there is a site called Twittervision, which superimposes the messages sent to Twitter on a world map.

Something like this would be interesting for Conference time. It could show only the messages of people who would like to opt-in or it could show the messages that match keywords that we are listening to from all Twitter users (e.g. elder, monson, etc.).

Sites like this encourage conversation and new friendships as people respond to the messages that they view.

I personally do not have the skills to pull something like this together but maybe someone else here has made similar apps that could help.

What do you all think?

Thanks.
I'm not sure I understand the benefit (and perhaps I don't understand what you are proposing either).

Would it be merely a social network centered around conference talks? Isn't Twitter something you subscribe to so that you can get updates and thoughts of people as the event is happening?

To me it would be a distraction reading people's thoughts about conference instead of just listening to the talks and coming up with my own thoughts.
smithmj-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by smithmj-p40 »

Here's a start created by somebody out there:
http://thriveis.com/ldsconf/

#LDSConf very quickly became one of the most popular topics on Twitter (listed on the right).
http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23ldsconf
smithmj-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by smithmj-p40 »

Here's another mashup created by barkeraj (Aaron Barker):
http://zelph.com/sandbox/conftwitter/
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

I have a hard time understanding the social sites. They seem way too complex for some reason.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”