Exceeded Daily Limit message

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
craiggsmith

Exceeded Daily Limit message

Post by craiggsmith »

In TM I noticed that some zones have a gray icon to the left and some blue; blue means "connected devices". When I click on the blue ones I get a list of addresses with the message "Exceeded daily limit. Please contact brad@macvendors.com" by each. What is this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Exceeded Daily Limit message

Post by russellhltn »

Looks like some kind of new feature. What I'm seeing is a list of devices based on the mac address. I suspect there may be a daily limit to using that lookup. Too bad. It would be nice to know how much bandwidth each device is using.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Yes, it appears they are using the API from macvendors.com to translate the MAC address of connected devices to the manufacturer. They offer this as a free service, but only up to 10,000 queries per day. After that, you'll get the friendly nag.

It's a nice service, but I prefer to use Fing for that kind of information. It returns a lot more detail on connected devices. It's especially nice now that I've got all our firewalls updated with the latest script so all connected users show up in the same subdomain.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Interesting. I guess we'll see if they decide to pay for the service; not much point to it if they don't.

Good to hear about the firewall update -- maybe I'll try Fing again.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Fing is good, but it can only tell you about the pool it's connected to. TM shows all pools.

Not sure how the queries are counted - if it's coming from the web server, or from the client.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by tlhackett »

Yes TM does use macvendors.com and it is all done from the server, not from the client. Once the server IP requests 10,000 times the limit for the free service is reached and won't allow more mac address look ups until the next day
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CleggGP »

The query limit was recently changed to a much higher value, so now it's less likely that users will receive the "Exceeded daily limit" message.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”