members that move our and their tithing records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
myronh

members that move our and their tithing records

Post by myronh »

We had a member family family move our during 2014. They paid tithing during the first months of 2014 and now I cannot access that information. AM I wrong or is there a place I can find their tithing information
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: members that move our and their tithing records

Post by aebrown »

myronh wrote:We had a member family family move our during 2014. They paid tithing during the first months of 2014 and now I cannot access that information. AM I wrong or is there a place I can find their tithing information
Because they are not members of your ward, you can't print a Tithing Settlement Statement for them. I'm guessing that's what you are trying to do.

But you can certainly still print a YTD Donation Statement for them (and you'll be able to print an Official Tax Statement next year for them as well).
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

They split my ward during the year, so I had two thirds of my ward move out. :)

How do I handle the official tax statement for the end of the year? Will I have to print out all the ones for those who were moved out of my ward and mail/or deliver them? Who signs them? Me or their bishop now?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:They split my ward during the year, so I had two thirds of my ward move out. :)

How do I handle the official tax statement for the end of the year? Will I have to print out all the ones for those who were moved out of my ward and mail/or deliver them? Who signs them? Me or their bishop now?
If the split happened after tithing settlement began, see the Help Center article Tithing Settlement and Boundary Changes.

If the split happened earlier, then this is no different (except in quantity) from the situation when any member donates in your ward and then moves out. According to the Help Center article Print and Distribute Donor Statements, the bishop signs each Tax-Valid Statement, and the statements are "delivered to each donor by January 31 of each year."
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Hmmm...

One would think, since each member has a unique membership number, that that big computer in Salt Lake could keep track of all the places I make donations and compile them into one tax statement. The IRS can certainly do it with my Social Security number....

They took out two thirds of my ward and made a new ward, and gave me one third of a second ward to form my new ward. That means I basically have to sign tax statements for two wards while the bishop in my cast off ward still has to sign all of his as well, as his members have donated in the new ward for the last six months.

I think I will get a rubber stamp made. ;)
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

There is this comment in the second link you provided. Does this change your answer?

When a member moves to a new ward, the new ward now has access to a contribution summary that includes donations the member made in the old ward. This information is downloaded to MLS from Church headquarters.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:There is this comment in the second link you provided. Does this change your answer?

When a member moves to a new ward, the new ward now has access to a contribution summary that includes donations the member made in the old ward. This information is downloaded to MLS from Church headquarters.
That didn't say anything about a Tax-Valid Statement. A contribution summary is nice, but not valid for tax purposes. So no, it doesn't change my answer.

I'm not sure why the Church thinks that the tax statements need to be signed. I get all sorts of tax statements from other organizations without signatures (it's quite rare that they are signed). If we could eliminate that requirement, then it would be fairly straightforward to use the same mechanism to send to each member's current ward via MLS the official tax statement for all donations made to whatever units the member lived in during the year. That would sure simplify matters overall and eliminate a lot of signatures for overworked bishops.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Okay. Thanks.

So I assume the "contribution summary" info doesn't transfer to the Tax-Valid statement.

We will print them all...

:)

Thanks again.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

RE: Signatures. It may be that tax law is different for charities and businesses. Boy Scouts Friends of Scouting drive donations, for example are supposed to be signed before they are valid. It didn't matter that my next door neighbor signed mine.

At least according to the instructions I got when I was in charge of the thing for our stake.

But it is tax law. Who really knows??
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”