Donations not credited to member

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Callgaryj

Donations not credited to member

Post by Callgaryj »

As a new clerk I am not sure if this is the right forum for such a question, but thought it would be a good place to start. I have a member who has paid tithing in our unit, but there is no record of this in MLS. I am sure there is record of her donations are somewhere, and I need to know where to go to find her tithing records. Can someone please give direction on where I should go to find these records? Thanks.
johnshaw

Re: Tithing Settlement

Post by johnshaw »

Hopefully a moderator will move this to a new thread, Likely if it was paid, it was associated with the wrong member.

1. Try finding out if the member contributes regularly /bi-weekly/monthly/quarterly, etc.. if you find that they pay regularly, find the amount they contribute and look back through the year where a 'regular' contribution should be there but isn't - then find the regular amount and check the batches to see if an amount matches but might be assigned to another member.

2. If the member has the slip, do all the same as above, but this time to directly to the batch.

3. Once you identify the potential issue, you check the actual paperwork and find the donation that is questionable - check that the member made that donation and then change the donation to the correct member.

this time of year you'll also want to make sure the mistaken member where the donation was mis-assigned gets an updated end of year summary.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Donations not credited to member

Post by russellhltn »

Callgaryj wrote:I have a member who has paid tithing in our unit, but there is no record of this in MLS. I am sure there is record of her donations are somewhere, and I need to know where to go to find her tithing records.
You might question her and find out the details on how she paid. Maybe she grabbed the envelops for another bishop and been mailing them to a different ward. Or perhaps she's been paying to CHQ directly.

On your end, you'd have to use the clues she gives you (cash/check/frequency) to find her donations in the weekly batches.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Also, double check with the member that her check has actually cleared the bank. If not, then perhaps she neglected to give the donation to a bishopric member, or possibly the envelope is sitting in a bishopric member's suit pocket.

If the check has cleared the bank, she could look at the check (many banks let you see the check online) and see how it was endorsed. That could help you know what unit deposited the check, just to make sure it was truly deposited in your unit. Knowing when the check cleared can also help you know what donation batch it would be in.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

I recommend you use "View/Update Donors", and scan through the list of donors.
If you find the member's name there, make sure they are not listed as a nonmember.
If they are, click their name and link them to their member record.
Sometimes the link between donor and member record breaks and the Tithing
Settlement reports will show no donations until the link is re-established.
kevinramsey

Post by kevinramsey »

In our unit we have a Father and son who have the same name. Part of the payments of tithing was applied to the wrong person. (Father- Non Tithe payer and inactive) there are several payments applied to the Father when in was the son who paid. (Son, active full tithe payer.)
QUESTION: How do I fix this data entry error?
Please advise
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kevinramsey wrote:In our unit we have a Father and son who have the same name. Part of the payments of tithing was applied to the wrong person. (Father- Non Tithe payer and inactive) there are several payments applied to the Father when in was the son who paid. (Son, active full tithe payer.)
QUESTION: How do I fix this data entry error?
Find the donation batch(es) where the donation was credited to the wrong person. The easiest way to do this might be to print a YTD donation statement for the father. Then go to View/Update Donations, and for each batch, open the batch by clicking on the batch date. Find the particular donation within the batch, edit it, and change the donor name. Do a Send/Receive when you're all done.

You'll probably want to reprint a statement for the son so that he can see that it is all correct now.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:Find the particular donation within the batch, edit it, and change the donor name. Do a Send/Receive when you're all done.
Note that when a change is made to a batch you should print the new batch report. This new batch report will show the change(s) made to the batch for the semi-annual audit. This new batch report should be filed with the other paperwork for the batch.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”