MLS and lds tools

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Dabemis

MLS and lds tools

Post by Dabemis »

We have some youth, of single parent converts, in our MLS who are not showing up in the lds tools. Any advice as to why or how fix them?
eblood66

Re: MLS and lds tools

Post by eblood66 »

DABemis wrote:We have some youth, of single parent converts, in our MLS who are not showing up in the lds tools. Any advice as to why or how fix them?
Where are they showing up in MLS? Do you see them in the list shown using Membership > Individual Record?
Dabemis

Post by Dabemis »

I can see their individual record when pulling it up through: membership>> individual. I can also pull it up through finding their family.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Whose install of LDS Tools are you looking at? MLS has no concept of Privacy. But the Directory and LDS Tools limits the view of most individuals and families according the privacy settings set in the Directory. This limit kicks in depending on the calling of the individual. The stake presidency and bishopric can generally see everyone regardless of the settings. Most everyone else is limited to the settings.

In addition, most members can't see minors of other wards regardless of any privacy setting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It's also possible that temporary records were created for these individuals, instead of real membership records. Have the youth been baptized? What's the rough age range (over 8, I assume)?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

DABemis wrote:I can see their individual record when pulling it up through: membership>> individual. I can also pull it up through finding their family.
In addition to the things sbradshaw and russellhltn mentioned, you can also check on whether the children show up in the Directory on lds.org (https://lds.org/directory) and in Leader and Clerk Resources (https://clerk.lds.org). I'm assuming you have a clerk or bishopric calling. If your calling is something else, then you should have one of them look at things to make sure your calling isn't limiting what you can see. If the records don't show up in LCR, then either MLS has temporary records (as sbradshaw suggests) or it is not in sync with the records at CHQ. If they show up in LCR and you have the right callings, there isn't much chance they won't show up in the Directory.
Dabemis

Post by Dabemis »

russellhltn wrote:Whose install of LDS Tools are you looking at?
The bishop is the one who gave the note to get fixed. So I think it is safe to assume he can't see them.
sbradshaw wrote:It's also possible that temporary records were created for these individuals, instead of real membership records. Have the youth been baptized? What's the rough age range (over 8, I assume)?
IDk, if they are temporary records or not. They are not over 8. After their parent was baptized, I believe, the kids in the different families were added to the parents profile on MLS as their children.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DABemis wrote:After their parent was baptized, I believe, the kids in the different families were added to the parents profile on MLS as their children.
If this means what I think it does, it means that no records were created for the children. They are not in MLS in a way that would show in the directory or on any class roll - as well as not appearing in the directory or LDS Tools.

It seems some clerks get confused between children listed on the parent's records and children listed in the household view. The former is just genealogical information. The children could be adults, moved away or even deceased and they'd still show there. A quick check would be to see if you can go into "Individual Records" of MLS and find the children. If you can't, then there's your problem. Only if the child appears under "Individual Record" do you really have some kind of record for them.

In the case of converts, I believe that the missionaries record the children, but since they are not baptized, no record is created for them - but they get listed on the parent's record. The ward needs to follow the policy listed in Handbook 1: 13.6.2 to create "Member of Record" records for any children. Combined with the misunderstanding in the preceding paragraph, and you've got a real problem.

Note that you can only create "Member of Record" for children who are currently under the age of 8. Once they reach the age of 8, (regardless of how old they were when the record should have been created) they have to baptized before any record can be created that will appear in the on-line directory or LDS Tools.

If the children are age 8 or older, you can create a temporary record for them, but you still won't see them outside of MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
DABemis wrote:After their parent was baptized, I believe, the kids in the different families were added to the parents profile on MLS as their children.
If this means what I think it does, it means that no records were created for the children.
According to this post, the children do show up in the Individual Record section so they would have to have either permanent or temporary records.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:According to this post, the children do show up in the Individual Record section so they would have to have either permanent or temporary records.
Hmmmmm. OK. The next step is to look and see what kind of records those are.

I'd also question this assumption:
DABemis wrote:The bishop is the one who gave the note to get fixed. So I think it is safe to assume he can't see them.
Perhaps it's someone else bugging him about it. The RS, EQ, HP, Youth and Primary presidencies are limited by the privacy settings. They are not part of the "Leadership only" group. Any one of them could be complaining to the Bishop.

Less likely, but can't be ruled out - the LDS Account used on his device may not be associated with his membership record. It could be someone else's account or the account has the wrong membership attached. Either way, the system isn't going to give the information that a bishop should get.

Since it sounds like DABemis is a clerk, he should be able to verify things under his own account on LCR, Directory and LDS Tools.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”