Children sealing application to the First Presidency

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mitchmech

Children sealing application to the First Presidency

Post by mitchmech »

Is there a way to initiate an application to the First Presidency through MLS to request a sealing cancellation of children to former parents? The typical application for Men and Women will not pull up children's names and doesn't request the correct information. How do I go about initiating this application? Any help is appreciated!
Thank you,
Bishop Torrie
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Children sealing application to the First Presidency

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to review Handbook 1: 3.6.2.

I find absolutely nothing about canceling a sealing to parents. The closest I can come is the section "Adopted or Foster Children Who Are Living". But even then it's just approval - not a cancelation.

So I suspect it's either not done or highly unusual.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

It is my understanding (without access to Handbook 1 in my current church assignment) that once a child is sealed to parents then that child cannot be sealed to parents again, even if there are divorces and other factors that come along. Anything beyond that is, somehow, straightened out after mortality… so just have faith and be righteous.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mrrad wrote:It is my understanding (without access to Handbook 1 in my current church assignment) that once a child is sealed to parents then that child cannot be sealed to parents again, even if there are divorces and other factors that come along. Anything beyond that is, somehow, straightened out after mortality… so just have faith and be righteous.
Allow me to replace one word in your first sentence to say that once a child is sealed to parents then that child does not need to be sealed to parents again.

While there must be a mother and a father for the child to be sealed in the first place, once a child is sealed to parents the child is entitled to eternal parents, no matter what happens to any of the parents involved in the child's life. It is just as if the child had been born in the covenant.

But I rephrase your sentence having experience that sometimes surprising things come back in letters from the First Presidency concerning these matters. However, there is no Application to the First Presidency to request that a sealing of a child to parents be cancelled because there is no reason to do so. And I am not aware that such a cancellation has ever happened.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

My current church assignment doesn't grant me access to your stake's surprising letters from the First Presidency either. :) I suppose the bottom line is that sealings operate differently than civil laws about custody matters, so don't worry about it. In the next life my children will be adults.
willisblue

Post by willisblue »

So what if an adult member born in covenant has no desire to recognize the sealing to the parent. Say the parents were physically abusive and unrepentant. Yes, I understand they will be sealed to eternal parents in the hereafter regardless of where the parents may be, but in taking ownership of the trauma that was inflicted upon them during the earth life, a visible removal of that undesired linkage could provide spiritual healing. A sealing to a foster parent after cancelling the sealing to the biologic parent could further that spiritual healing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The bottom line is that the local leaders have no authority to cancel a sealing. It has to be done by the First Presidency. I believe that local leaders do have access to a general form to the First Presidency, so if pressed, they could try that. But there's no guarantee of results. If not, they do have their Priesthood "upline" to consult.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

willisblue wrote:So what if an adult member born in covenant has no desire to recognize the sealing to the parent. Say the parents were physically abusive and unrepentant. Yes, I understand they will be sealed to eternal parents in the hereafter regardless of where the parents may be, but in taking ownership of the trauma that was inflicted upon them during the earth life, a visible removal of that undesired linkage could provide spiritual healing. A sealing to a foster parent after cancelling the sealing to the biologic parent could further that spiritual healing.
This would be entirely up to the President of the Church. If a member felt strongly about this, I would recommend a visit with the bishop and stake president. The stake president is authorized to write the First Presidency in matters such as this if he feels the situation should be presented to them.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

willisblue wrote:...but in taking ownership of the trauma that was inflicted upon them during the earth life, a visible removal of that undesired linkage could provide spiritual healing.
I suppose, on the other hand, that the ability to forgive and to "let it go" could be seen as a way to provide spiritual healing to the victim. This doesn't mean that it's okay nor that the victim needs to act like it's okay nor that the victim needs to maintain any kind of contact. But there are many examples in the church of individuals whose own healing depended on their ability to forgive and to move on. The Atonement is big enough to take care of this. A sealing to parents is about more than the link to those individuals. The child, in such a situation, is entitled to specific blessings independent of the parents' behavior. There is no expectation of some sort of ownership of the child based on the simple fact that a sealing took place.

…and, of course, this opinion has nothing to do with the technical, community support that this forum is intended to provide.
rhmorgan67

Post by rhmorgan67 »

I find it very disturbing that some on this thread say “it doesn’t matter who you’re sealed to” and “everything will be worked out in the next life” - don’t worry. What then is the purpose of getting sealed to your wife? Any old wife will do… I was sealed to adoptive parents and I have since found my birth family. I don’t want to be sealed to my adoptive parents, period. One Bishop on here gets the spiritual healing the sister in question, and many like her desire. Forgive and forget, it will all work out - has nothing to do with it. And… if you’re not adopted - you can’t even begin to understand so your comments are irrelevant. If the sealing is just a way to be sealed to Christ - then let’s get sealed to Christ and leave other humans out of it.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”