Temple Ride Sharing

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
ensignavenger

Temple Ride Sharing

Post by ensignavenger »

Howdy!

As a side-project I have been working on ShareMyTempleTrip.org, a ride sharing app for LDS Temple Patrons.

I submitted it to the Gospel App contest but didn't receive much interest/feedback, so I thought I would post here and ask the community what they think- is this a problem that people are having? Am I doing a good job solving the problem? How can I make the site better?

I think that I am now ready to start promoting the web app more, so I would really like feedback from the LDS Tech community.
Last edited by jdlessley on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: complete URL link
davesudweeks

Re: Temple Ride Sharing

Post by davesudweeks »

In my ward, most of the individuals who would "need" ride sharing would probably not have the means to use an app. Not to say it isn't a good idea - we speak about it all the time in our Ward. We are pretty good at coordinating ride sharing for youth (our Temple is about 2 hours away), but not so well with adults.
ensignavenger

Re: Temple Ride Sharing

Post by ensignavenger »

Thanks for sharing! I am keenly aware of the digital divide issue :)

I think prospective users who would be looking for rides would fall into one of several categories-
1) Those who don't 'need' a ride- they could drive themselves, but would rather ride with someone else and maybe share the cost of gas- or just reduce traffic congestion, etc.
2) Those who could go more often if they could get rides.
3) Those who have no transportation and need a ride to go at all- typically individuals or families that are just scraping by- many of these users will access the app at the library, but many, will also own mobile devices and be able to access it that way.
4) Those who could really use a ride, but are technologically illiterate or just don't have access to or don't want access to the web.

I'm not sure what I can do for the latter group :) I would love to help out there. In fact, that is another project of mine- I am working to start a nonprofit with the aim to bridge the digital divide through access and education. But that will be a long-haul problem to solve.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Return to “General Discussions”