Repeating events not creating

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mcg30916

Repeating events not creating

Post by mcg30916 »

I have created several repeating events in the new calendar version and the event creates in the month it is created but does not create any of the subsequent events. I set it to create monthly on 1 Sunday until 12/31/2015. Also tried to have it set by just the number of occurrences. No luck.

Anyone else have similar issues?
djamiol

Re: Repeating events not creating

Post by djamiol »

Yes, I'm having the same issue (i.e. cannot create a repeating event). When I attempt to create a repeating event, it only creates the first occurrence of the event. The issue started with the release of the new calendar application.

I also cannot edit repeating events which were created under the old version of the calendar.

The new calendar is not an improvement from what I've seen. Please consider reverting back to the previous version of the calendar (which worked) until full functionality is available in the new calendar application.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

djamiol wrote:Yes, I'm having the same issue (i.e. cannot create a repeating event). When I attempt to create a repeating event, it only creates the first occurrence of the event. The issue started with the release of the new calendar application.

I also cannot edit repeating events which were created under the old version of the calendar.

The new calendar is not an improvement from what I've seen. Please consider reverting back to the previous version of the calendar (which worked) until full functionality is available in the new calendar application.
Have you tried this in the last few hours? 2.7.1 has been released which may have fixed this.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
djamiol

Post by djamiol »

Yes, I just tried creating and editing a repeating event just now (3:36 PM MST) with no luck at all.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

djamiol wrote:Yes, I just tried creating and editing a repeating event just now (3:36 PM MST) with no luck at all.
I just tried creating and editing a repeating event, and it worked perfectly. The created event repeated as expected. When I edited it, the events were all adjusted according to my edit.

I used a weekly repeating event, with 3 occurrences.

Perhaps you could supply some more details about your precise steps.
djamiol

Post by djamiol »

I figured it out, but it doesn't make any sense to me... In the "Recurs for XX month(s) on the:" "1st" "Wed" fields, I had been entering "12" for the number of recurrences (since I needed the event to occur once each month for 12 months). Evidently it doesn't work that way. Evidently I must enter "1" for the number of recurrences, then the event populates correctly on the 1st Wednesday of each month (Jan to Dec) in 2015. Go figure. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I liked the way the old calendar application worked better for repeating events... straight forward and common sense.

Here were the steps I used, before I figured out the correct recurrence value to select (i.e. 1 vs. 12):

1) Click "Create New Event" ("+") icon on top tool bar.
2) Enter an Event Name
3) Select Calendar to post the event to, in this case "Bishop Interviews"
4) Enter Event Description
5) Select Start Date = 7 Jan 2015
6) Select Start Time = 8:30 PM
7) Select End Date = 7 Jan 2015
8) Select End Time = 9:00 PM
9) Click "This Event Repeats" check-box to checked ON
10) Select recurrence from drop down box = "Monthly by Day of Week"
11) Update the "Recurs for XX month(s) on the:" field to = 12
12) Click "1st" check-box to checked ON
13) Select "Wed" from the drop down box
14) Select "Repeats Until - Specific Date" from the drop down box
15) Select End Date 31 Dec 2015
16) Click "Create Event" button at the bottom of the page.

It only created the first event on Wed, 7 Jan 2015 and no subsequent events.

Changing the recurrence value to 1 (from 12) seemed to solve the problem (although I don't understand why) and the event populated correctly to the 1st Wednesday of each month in 2015.

Thanks again everyone.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Thanks for the followup. I'm trying to remember what the wording was on the previous version of the calendar, but it does seem odd and potentially confusing how it is worded now.

In the repeating section, it says "Recurs for" then has a dropdown for picking a number, then text such as "weeks" or "months" or something else depending on the type of repeat that is chosen.

It's that word "for" that seems to be a very poor choice. I would have chosen "every" for most of the repeat types. I say an event repeats "every 2 weeks on Thursday" and I think everyone understands that it will occur this Thursday, then 2 weeks after that, then 2 weeks after that, etc. But if I say an event repeats "for 2 weeks on Thursday", most people will think that the event will be over, never to repeat again, once the 2 weeks are done.
jhowell2000

Post by jhowell2000 »

I agree the wording is confusing on the set-up screen. I had an event repeating daily for 3 days and it took me a couple of times to figure out I needed to enter 1 in the recurs for field and have the end date for the end. I also had to set the end date for the day after the event actually ends as it seems to be not an inclusive day. In other words, when I entered start date 12/11/2014 and end date 12/13/2014 it did not place the event on 12/13/2014, but when I entered 12/14/2014 as the end date it put the event on 12/11-12/13/14 as I needed and nothing on 12/14.

I found the same thing for monthly repeating items where the last day of the repeating event was the same date (if an event was every Thursday through the end of the year I had to select the end date as 01/01/2016 in order for it to show on 12/31/2015, if the event was on any other day I could select 12/31/2015 and it would show on the day it was supposed to repeat).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jhowell2000 wrote:I agree the wording is confusing on the set-up screen. I had an event repeating daily for 3 days and it took me a couple of times to figure out I needed to enter 1 in the recurs for field and have the end date for the end. I also had to set the end date for the day after the event actually ends as it seems to be not an inclusive day. In other words, when I entered start date 12/11/2014 and end date 12/13/2014 it did not place the event on 12/13/2014, but when I entered 12/14/2014 as the end date it put the event on 12/11-12/13/14 as I needed and nothing on 12/14.
For daily repeating events the End Date used to have this problem where no event was included for the last date, but it was fixed several years ago. Apparently the problem is back with version 2.7.

Return to “Calendar”