Calendar 2.7 not allowing creation of new restrictions

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kimwhansen

Calendar 2.7 not allowing creation of new restrictions

Post by kimwhansen »

I am the stake executive secretary and building scheduler for our stake center. Since the Calendar 2.7 was released every time I try to create a new restriction on our stake calendar after filling in the appropriate data, when I hit "Create Restriction" I just get a spinning wheel that never stops. I am missing something or is this a problem for others as well?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Calendar 2.7 not allowing creation of new restrictions

Post by russellhltn »

I just tried one and it worked fine. A weekly repeating event for all 2015. Of course I set it to 3-4 AM in the chapel to avoid any conflicts.

What exactly are you trying to set and are you sure there isn't a conflict? (Yes, I would expect better conflict handling, but as part of troubleshooting it's good to know.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kimwhansen

Post by kimwhansen »

I was trying to schedule a baptism. There was no conflict with any events, but I cannot see the restriction calendar like the old system had.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ah, the way restrictions are displayed have changed. See the first post in 2.7 FAQ
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kimwhansen

Post by kimwhansen »

Okay, thank you. I clicked on the >> and under locations it has a column for restrictions and a column for show. However, they do not let me do anything and there is nothing below them. Below that under Stake Calendars they have buttons to turn on/off subscribe, and notification and show boxes that can be checked.
I would think that if I clicked on the Restrictions word it would open up a calendar for me but nothing happens.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kimwhansen wrote:Okay, thank you. I clicked on the >> and under locations it has a column for restrictions and a column for show. However, they do not let me do anything and there is nothing below them.
It sounds like you are not listed as a Building Scheduler in the calendar system. Under the old system, I think anyone could see restrictions in week view. But under the new system, I'm not sure as anyone but the Building Scheduler can see them.

As pointed out in a later post, one has to check "show" before the "restrictions" box appears.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

And at this point I'm confused. First you say you can't schedule a restriction and then say you're trying to schedule a baptism. It's best to schedule an event for events and not try to use restrictions for that.

kimwhansen

Post by kimwhansen »

Maybe we have been calendaring wrong, but it worked. The way our stake calendared events was to have editors, usually a member of an organization presidency calendar an event on the event calendar after contacting me the building scheduler to place a restriction on the the restriction calendar for the date and time and rooms needed. If 2.7 works in a different fashion, perhaps you could direct me where to receive some updated training.
kimwhansen

Post by kimwhansen »

To clarify,

I may have misspoke when I earlier said I was trying to schedule a baptism, I should have said place a restriction on the baptismal font. I never have scheduled events, only placed restrictions on the buildings use.

I am listed as a Building Scheduler as I always have been. I checked on LDS tools and it shows my calling as Stake Executive Secretary, Stake Scheduler - Building 1 (which is the stake center).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kimwhansen wrote:Maybe we have been calendaring wrong, but it worked. The way our stake calendared events was to have editors, usually a member of an organization presidency calendar an event on the event calendar
Good.
kimwhansen wrote: after contacting me the building scheduler to place a restriction on the the restriction calendar for the date and time and rooms needed.
Seems unnecessary. When they book the event, they can select the location and rooms used. Once it's set, no one else can schedule those rooms at that time. The restriction is pointless.

Restrictions are also limited in that all you can do is limit what units can schedule the room - not which calendar (organization). So you could put a restriction for "Unit A" on the cultural hall for the RS social, but that doesn't prevent the EQ of Unit A from scheduling a basketball game. It only blocks editors for Units B and C from scheduling anything. So really, it's just to set aside a time block for a unit to use how they wish. Not for reserving for specific events.

My suggestion is to have the editors schedule the events on their own. Just make sure to select the location and rooms needed. If there is a problem, then give you a call.

kimwhansen wrote:If 2.7 works in a different fashion, perhaps you could direct me where to receive some updated training.
I think it's been that was since 2.0. No change there. You can check the calendar help file for details.

Return to “Calendar”