Holidays and church wide events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
dwheeler

Holidays and church wide events

Post by dwheeler »

Why aren't national holidays and church-wide events listed on the online calendar?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Holidays and church wide events

Post by lajackson »

dwheeler wrote:Why aren't national holidays and church-wide events listed on the online calendar?
It would appear that the Church-wide events for 2015 have not yet been added to the calendar. If they are, someone at Church headquarters probably will do that sometime soon. That said, consideration may be given to whether or not to post Church-wide events to the Calendar system, since even Church-wide events do not always take place at the same time throughout the world.

As for national holidays, the Church is worldwide, and it is not likely that they would be adding national holidays to a Church-wide calendar. Some stakes and wards add them locally, but that is a decision that would be up to the stake first, and then the ward if the stake chose not to add them to the stake calendar.

I would also suppose that many countries are similar to the U.S., where even some national holidays are not celebrated throughout the country. For example, I worked on three national U.S. holidays this year because they are normal work days for our company (and many others) and are not celebrated with time off.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Some people who subscribe to the LDS.org calendar (syncing it out to a third-party calendar system) also subscribe to or create their own separate Holidays calendar that includes the ones they care about. Duplicate events could show up, which would be annoying. Because holidays aren't church events, they don't necessarily need to be on a church calendar. However, like lajackson says, individual units can put them on and it might be helpful for some people.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I created a separate holiday calendar for our stake. Members can subscribe or not as they please. I just wish there was a way to display it on the web page without having to subscribe to it and sending it to my personal device.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”