v2.7: Building scheduler can create events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
lajackson
Community Moderators

v2.7: Building scheduler can create events

Post by lajackson »

jeffevannelson wrote:Major updates for this new version of the calendar are:
• Building schedulers may create events associated directly with their assigned building without otherwise needing to be an editor on any regular calendar.
I really hesitate to bring this up, but am I reading correctly that this provides a path forward for those stakes who have not been able to come to grips with the new paradigm of distributed scheduling? I'm not complaining. Just checking.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Calendar 2.7 Released.

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:
jeffevannelson wrote:Major updates for this new version of the calendar are:
• Building schedulers may create events associated directly with their assigned building without otherwise needing to be an editor on any regular calendar.
I really hesitate to bring this up, but am I reading correctly that this provides a path forward for those stakes who have not been able to come to grips with the new paradigm of distributed scheduling? I'm not complaining. Just checking.
Depends on how you look at it. There's still no way for a building scheduler to place anything on calendars they don't have edit rights to. So there's no way for the event to sync to any external calendars. Nor can the members see what's on the calendar for just their ward - they'd have to show the building calendar.

What the building scheduler can do (without additional rights) is to place an "event" on the location. So at this point there is an "event" and there is "restriction", "blocked". To see restrictions, you have to put a check in the checkbox on the subscriptions page. But an "event" always appears as long as you have the location appear.

In my mind the calendar has 3 purposes:
  • Planning calendar for leaders
  • Building scheduling
  • Advertise events to the members (including via syncing).
If they really want to skip the advantages of doing it all in one place and stick just to building scheduling, I guess they can. But I think it's their loss (as well as the member's loss) to do that.

As far as I know, there's still no way to add someone as a editor to the calendar of a ward they don't belong to except maybe to add them as a out-of-unit leader.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Calendar 2.7 Released.

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:If they really want to skip the advantages of doing it all in one place and stick just to building scheduling, I guess they can. But I think it's their loss (as well as the member's loss) to do that.
I absolutely agree. I just noticed that before this release it was not really possible to make the old method work.
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: v2.7: Building scheduler can create events

Post by jeffevannelson »

We did not shift any paradigm. We simply allowed wards and stakes to convert to the online calendar and slowly shift over to allowing organizations to take take care of themselves.

We allow direction to come from the local leaders on how they want calendar to be used.

But yes You guys have been on board with the vision for a while.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: v2.7: Building scheduler can create events

Post by russellhltn »

jeffevannelson wrote:We did not shift any paradigm.
That may not have been the intent, but given the way the features in the earlier versions actually functioned, that's certainly how I read it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”