Mass Downloading

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

egnlsn

Mass Downloading

Post by egnlsn »

Is there anyway to download an entire catalog of magazines, such as all Ensigns or General Conference issues, etc? In the Android version, that is a possibility. But, in the Windows version, I am having to download one issue at a time. Very time consuming.
CIAO!

Ed Nielsen
ToManyLetters

Re: Mass Downloading

Post by ToManyLetters »

This is a commonly requested feature that is listed on our requested features list. We have not implemented it at present because it can cause major performance issues with the app. We understand that there is a VERY large desire for this feature, but you'll have to have patience with us as we work to make it (and other critical features of the app) a possibility.

For now I recommend downloading only the content you intend to actually use.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ToManyLetters wrote:This is a commonly requested feature that is listed on our requested features list. We have not implemented it at present because it can cause major performance issues with the app.
I don't know what the coding issues would involve, but perhaps a compromise would be the ability to download a particular year of magazines. In other words, I might want to bring down the 2014 Ensigns, or the 2013 Ensigns, for example. Those would be more bite-sized chunks, and the app might be able to handle it, as well.
egnlsn

Post by egnlsn »

That is unfortunate that it can't be done. It obviously is a Windows thing, as I was able to do that on both of my Android tablets without issue. Go to Ensign, tap the menu icon > catalog options > download all in Ensign. The downloading begins in about 10 seconds and continues, one month after another with no issues. I have an emulating program on my desktop which lets me run Android apps on my computer. Just tried it there and I had all of the Ensigns downloaded in less than half the time that it took to write this post.

Sometimes when preparing a talk or doing other research or merely reading, you don't know beforehand just where you might end up. Several months ago, while waiting while my wife was getting a pedicure, I was browsing some old issues of the Ensign and ran across the King Follett Sermon which was published in 2 parts in 1971 issues. It had been a long time since I had read that, and it was good to read it again.

I am so thankful for all of the hard work you guys have put into making this app for Windows 8.1 happen. I had the one prior to the beta and was always actually getting ready to E-mail and ask about a version that would sync with my account when I saw the post about the beta version. Thank you so much!
CIAO!

Ed Nielsen
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

It's not a Windows thing, actually. It has to do with the way the application checks for content updates at present. The app currently checks for updates to content on start up and, unfortunately, the more content you have to check, the longer it takes to start up (hence why even allowing downloads in larger chunks is a bit problematic at present).

That said, don't misunderstand what i said in my first response: we are looking at ways to change the content update checks to make a download all a possibility in the future. It just requires more work to make it doable, and there are many, many other critical issues on our plate that have our attentions.
egnlsn

Post by egnlsn »

I don't really know how it can't be related somehow to Windows, seeing as how I can download 43 years worth of content on 3 different Android devices in under 5 minutes each. With this Windows version, I can do about 6 months at a time, which costs ~45 seconds per block. Add to that the time to move from one group to the next, and it gets quite time-consuming.

I don't pretend to have any answers or even suggestions as to why there is a difference, let alone any possible resolutions. I'm just pointing out that there is a difference. Hopefully, a resolution will come about. If not, it is what it is.

I did not misunderstand what you wrote in your first response -- I know you are working hard to make this and other apps the best they can possibly be, which is only to our benefit.

Again, thank you for all your hard work!
CIAO!

Ed Nielsen
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

My statement is basically that it's not Windows' fault (or, in other words, not the fault of the operating system). The issue with being able to implement Download All is related to have we've implemented content updating in the application, not with the operating system itself.
tmortensenii

Post by tmortensenii »

Engine I am not a developer for this application, but I think both of you are saying the same thing.
There is obviously a difference between the two applications. The difference in the two apps being able to quickly download whole libraries has nothing to do with the underlying OS. It has to do with the maturity of the applications. This isn't a knock against this team they have actually pulled off a very great task and their product is great. The android app has been in development for quite some time now. I remember that the android app didn't have this feature either at its first revision.
I am sure the Windows application will reach feature parity in the future. There is a great team supporting it now.
Have a happy thanksgiving.
egnlsn

Post by egnlsn »

I know that it's not something with the OS itself. I probably should have worded it differently. Perhaps I should have said "Windows version of the app."

Anyway, as development continues, I'm sure all bugs, etc. will be worked out. Heck, how many bugfixes continue on with the Android version?

It's a great product as is, and I look forward to future improvements and additions.
CIAO!

Ed Nielsen

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”