Where to enter Member's Death date?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rchomskis

Where to enter Member's Death date?

Post by rchomskis »

Hello, one of our members died earlier this year, and our clerk recorded her death date as approximate one. The reason he did that was that the member died in a mental hospital and our land's laws prohibit disclosing patients information to non relatives.

So, the member's records were then filed to Church HQ and automatically removed from our local MLS system. I, the branch president, now have the exact death date, but don't know where to enter it, since the person's membership records are not on our MLS system anymore. How do I report the date?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Where to enter Member's Death date?

Post by aebrown »

rchomskis wrote:Hello, one of our members died earlier this year, and our clerk recorded her death date as approximate one. The reason he did that was that the member died in a mental hospital and our land's laws prohibit disclosing patients information to non relatives.

So, the member's records were then filed to Church HQ and automatically removed from our local MLS system. I, the branch president, now have the exact death date, but don't know where to enter it, since the person's membership records are not on our MLS system anymore. How do I report the date?
Your only option for fixing the membership record is to contact the Global Service Center.

One other thing to be aware of -- once a member's death is recorded, their entry in FamilySearch Family Tree becomes visible, and that entry would include the death date. I believe that a subsequent update to the membership record will lead to an update of the Family Tree record, but you could certainly look up the person in Family Tree and make sure that the death date is correct there.

Return to “Membership Help”