Website Administrator Calling?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
zaneclark

Website Administrator Calling?

Post by zaneclark »

I have multiple callings, both stake and ward Website Administrator and stake and ward assistant clerk. I decided to review the duties of these callings in the handbooks, but cannot find the words Website Administrator anywhere. Doing a general search of all church websites, the only place I can find Website Administrator is on this forum. I believe it is still listed as a standard calling on MLS but haven't checked that yet. If someone is called as a website administrator, how are they going to find their duties? It always seemed to be a largely undefined calling, but it seems to be even more so now.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Website Administrator Calling?

Post by lajackson »

In the new world, "Website Administrator" grants administrator privileges to the Calendar program for someone who does not hold a calling that would otherwise allow such privilege. Other than that, I am not aware of any reason for the calling.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:In the new world, "Website Administrator" grants administrator privileges to the Calendar program for someone who does not hold a calling that would otherwise allow such privilege.
It adds rights to a number of on-line programs other than Calendar. See Full List of Permissions for Website Administrator.

Getting back to the original question, there's a difference between "rights" and "assignment". I'd say the Website Administrator's tasks is whatever the Ward/Stake leaders want them to do. For example, they have rights to add photos to the directory. Should they? Depends on what the bishop wants. They rights to the newsletter - should they be doing newsletters? Depends on the bishop.

The problem comes in that some leaders have no clue as to what the on-line tools are like, nor do they know what can be done. So they don't know what assignments to make.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I am in the clerks office and I have verified that Website Administrator is still listed as a standard calling in MLS. I again did a search of handbooks 1 and 2, and Website Administrator is not mentioned anyplace that I could find, including the callings chart.... I guess we write our own job description, (with the approval of the bishop of course....)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

This was before my time, but maybe the pre-2010 handbooks said something about website administrators? Did website administrators do anything with pre-Tools ward websites?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

sbradshaw wrote:This was before my time, but maybe the pre-2010 handbooks said something about website administrators? Did website administrators do anything with pre-Tools ward websites?
I used to keep up the old LDS.org where each ward had an actual web site. I kept it updated with schedules, a newsletter, sending messages to members and adding links to other sites of interest, as long as they were BYU or LDS sites. There was a photo of our bishopric and a message from the bishop that changed periodically.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:This was before my time, but maybe the pre-2010 handbooks said something about website administrators? Did website administrators do anything with pre-Tools ward websites?
I don't think there was anything in the old handbooks specifically about website administrators. The old local unit websites (LUWS) did have administrators but they were not directly tied to an MLS calling. It was something that was entered using the website itself. However, the standard calling (which did exist then) may have been added because LUWS required an administrator.

Return to “General Discussions”