Usage reports

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Usage reports

Post by russellhltn »

I'm wondering if there's any way to find out how the church internet is being used? As in what sites are being visited?

The reason I ask is that I spotted someone viewing video on their tablet during church. More than once. I wouldn't call it "inappropriate" since that's usually a euphemism for something else, but I will say it wasn't "church". More like "entertainment".

Knowing what sites are being used is a starting point to asking that a site be filtered.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Usage reports

Post by CleggGP »

russellhltn wrote:I'm wondering if there's any way to find out how the church internet is being used?
Meetinghouse Internet filtering is managed internally by Church resources, and data about MH Internet use is not available to local leaders. Not everyone is prudent (sensible/reasonable/wise) in using the resource. It's basically a "teach them correct principles" thing. Serious misuse should be dealt with by unit leaders.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

russellhltn wrote:The reason I ask is that I spotted someone viewing video on their tablet during church. More than once. I wouldn't call it "inappropriate" since that's usually a euphemism for something else, but I will say it wasn't "church". More like "entertainment".
How can you know whether this person was using the church's Wi-Fi at that time? They could have been using a cellular connection (through the tablet itself or a mobile "hot spot" device). They could have had the video already loaded onto the tablet as a file. I would talk to the member before asking for a church-wide block.

DC 42:88-93
 88 And if thy brother or sister offend thee, thou shalt take him or her between him or her and thee alone; and if he or she confess thou shalt be reconciled.
 89 And if he or she confess not thou shalt deliver him or her up unto the church, not to the members, but to the elders. And it shall be done in a meeting, and that not before the world.
 90 And if thy brother or sister offend many, he or she shall be chastened before many.
 91 And if any one offend openly, he or she shall be rebuked openly, that he or she may be ashamed. And if he or she confess not, he or she shall be delivered up unto the law of God.
 92 If any shall offend in secret, he or she shall be rebuked in secret, that he or she may have opportunity to confess in secret to him or her whom he or she has offended, and to God, that the church may not speak reproachfully of him or her.
 93 And thus shall ye conduct in all things.
(Emphasis added.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mrrad wrote:How can you know whether this person was using the church's Wi-Fi at that time? They could have been using a cellular connection (through the tablet itself or a mobile "hot spot" device). They could have had the video already loaded onto the tablet as a file. I would talk to the member before asking for a church-wide block.
I'm less concerned about regulating people's behavior than I am in preserving bandwidth for approved purposes. Someone streaming a football game is taking away bandwidth that a teacher may need for a class video. I'm aware of this person just because of where I was sitting. I have to wonder how many others are doing the same thing.

If they're using their own data package, then I'm not going to worry about it. If they're using the church WiFi, then as a STS, I do think it falls into my area of concern.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”