Can a Windows "Standard User" run MLS?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
drepouille

Can a Windows "Standard User" run MLS?

Post by drepouille »

I am beginning to receive and configure new administrative computers for my stake. I would like to create three Windows accounts: Stake, Clerk, and Others.

The "Stake" and "Clerk" Windows accounts are Administrator accounts. My plan is for the bishopric and clerks to use the "Clerk" account, while quorum and auxiliary secretaries use the "Others" account, which is a Windows "Standard User".

Can a secretary use the "Others" account to run MLS? Will such a "Standard User" have enough privileges to update the MLS database? Will I have to grant permissions to certain directories and files so the "Others" account can update the MLS database?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Re: Can a Windows "Standard User" run MLS?

Post by drepouille »

Apparently you can run MLS as a Windows Standard User. I tried it and did not see any problems running MLS. I think this is a good way to keep the quorum and auxiliary leaders and secretaries out of the clerk's files.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drepouille wrote:Apparently you can run MLS as a Windows Standard User. I tried it and did not see any problems running MLS. I think this is a good way to keep the quorum and auxiliary leaders and secretaries out of the clerk's files.
There have been some concerns voiced about this approach in the past:
  • It's not following the official instructions, so you're running some risks when you go off on your own.
  • MLS may seem to run okay under a Standard User, but it's unlikely to process software updates properly.
  • When you have multiple user accounts that can run MLS, there's the risk that one user will run MLS and then not log off (just switch users). Then another user could sign in and run MLS while MLS is still running for the other user. Since MLS is not designed to be multi-user, this could easily cause problems.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:When you have multiple user accounts that can run MLS, there's the risk that one user will run MLS and then not log off (just switch users).
Fast User Switching can be disabled, but it can create an issue where someone wants to use the computer, but can't use it as it's locked under another login.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”