Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
victorvvk

Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination

Post by victorvvk »

Hi

I was ordained to the office of an ELDER in the Melchizedek Priesthood during 1990 and 1992, but i don't remember who ordained me ( name of the person) , is there any way that i can retrieve the old records or MLS or Church records.

Our Stake/Ward MLS also displays Empty field.

Regards
Victor Vinod Kumar
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination

Post by russellhltn »

You could try requesting your Line of Authority, but it's possible it fell into a time when the church accidently stopped recording them. You may need to inquire with your ward/stake at that time to see if they have the record anywhere.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
victorvvk

Post by victorvvk »

I did try the site and this is what they had to say
"We have recently received your request for the Priesthood Line of Authority for Victor. Unfortunately, this line of authority is incomplete. on the Elder line the record has the ordination date, 12May1991, but does not have the name of the person that ordained you an Elder. If you are able to obtain that information and can send it to us, we would be happy to update the records. Hopefully that will complete the line of authority and we can then send you an updated copy. The clerk of the stake where you were ordained may be able to assist you. Thank you."

Like you said i may need to search for the old records, It might turn out to be a daunting task. Thanks for the reply
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

victorvvk wrote:12May1991
Like you said I may need to search for the old records.
Sadly, yes. There was a time back then when the name of the person who performed an ordination was not recorded.

You have the date. May 12th was a Sunday that year. In fact, it was Mother's Day, if that helps at all.

You should also know where you were living when it happened. Is there someone from the ward there who might remember? It is possible the ward or stake clerk's office may have an old record somewhere. There may be a record in the stake history that year. There may be an old sustaining list laying around.

Mind you, there shouldn't be, but there may be.

Do you remember the position of the person who ordained you? If it was a member of the elders quorum presidency, there should be a record in the ward history.

It will be quite a research project, but you may find the answer if you are persistent. And hopefully, the response you received from Church headquarters reminded you that even though there is no current record of who ordained you, the ordination is still valid.

Return to “General Discussions”