Family Search Indexing on Yosemite

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
terrif

Family Search Indexing on Yosemite

Post by terrif »

I recently upgraded my mac to Yosemite. I wanted to install family search indexing. When I try installing, I get the following message.

To open Family Search Indexing Installer you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime.

It gives me a link to the Java software. But, I don't want to install it if it will mess up other programs on my computer. I am currently running Java 7 update 71, which the control panel tells me is the correct version for me when I click on update.

Is there a way to install Indexing with my current setup?
rmuffley

Re: Family Search Indexing on Yosemite

Post by rmuffley »

I am in the same circumstance, regarding Mac and Yosemite and Java, and am also unable to continue indexing. I understand there is to be a web-based interface to indexing. Is there established a roll-out date for the new approach? Thank you to a lot of people for a lot of effort in enabling the indexing process.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't have a Mac, so I'm not sure what to suggest, but you might want to check and make sure that Java is enabled in your browser. I seem to recall a setting/window in Java that said it was connected or not. Failing that, you might try different security settings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rmuffley wrote:I understand there is to be a web-based interface to indexing. Is there established a roll-out date for the new approach?
The latest published info is here (from August). It doesn't mention any specific launch date.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The newest version of Java is Java 8 update 25. I have that installed on my Mac (with Yosemite) and the Indexing program works!
https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
terrif

Post by terrif »

I sure appreciate everyone trying to help me. I downloaded and installed Java 8 update 25, but am still getting the following message. "To open “FamilySearch Indexing Installer” you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime." When I click the button for more information a blank webpage opens up. Guess I will just wait for the web-based version to come out.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It occurred to me just now that you're trying to use the Indexing installer, not the Indexing app itself. Maybe the installer has different requirements than the app.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
terrif

Post by terrif »

I'm sure you are right. I can't install the software.
mjmaloy

Post by mjmaloy »

I had FamilySearch indexing on my three month old mac air and updated to Yosemite. Since the upgrade I have the above problem. I downloaded and installed Java 8. Still didn't work. I tried re-installing FamilySearch. I got the same error message when trying to re-install. The FamilySearch website had no fix for it. I called support. No joy. I hope there is someone working on a fix...
siebertm

Post by siebertm »

I've got the same problem. Would be awesome if a fix was made available soon. I would love to continue Indexing.

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”