youth activities calendar entries off by 1 hour

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
drmay

youth activities calendar entries off by 1 hour

Post by drmay »

I am in the Pacific time zone. When i create a youth activity on the lds.org youth activity planner for 7pm wednesday and then click on the "update ward calendar" the corresponding ward calendar entry is for 6pm. My assumption is that the youth site is operating on utah time and not my account time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: youth activities calendar entries off by 1 hour

Post by russellhltn »

I was unable to duplicate that, and I don't live in the MT time zone. Is this activity on the other side of Daylight Savings Time (After Nov 2)?

Note that the calendar doesn't work on "account time", but the time zone as reported by your computer. I'm not sure how the Youth Activity Planner works, if it's time zone aware or not.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
joshuarcarter

Post by joshuarcarter »

I'm having the same problem in the Pacific time zone, both for updates to ward calendar and for youth activity planner reminders to parents. The activity planner reminders which include meeting invitations (ics) come in one hour earlier than the scheduled activity. I've tried it on multiple computers and devices and with multiple members of our organization - all having the same issue. I presume this is an issue with the new Activity Planner rather than the ward calendar. Any way to connect in with the Activity Planner tech team? Thanks for any help on this!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you tried this again since coming off DST this morning? Is the activity on the other side of a DST change?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
joshuarcarter

Post by joshuarcarter »

Yes, still having same problem post DST this morning for November activities. Not on other side of DST. Thanks for help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

joshuarcarter wrote:Yes, still having same problem post DST this morning for November activities. Not on other side of DST. Thanks for help.
Just to be clean, once it's on the calendar, it's on the calendar. I'm talking about transferring it from the planner to the calendar.

joshuarcarter

Post by joshuarcarter »

Thanks. I'm not sure I'm understanding the feedback. It seems to me that the problem is with the Activity Planner, because when it creates calendar invitations that are emailed out (the ics meeting requests) or when it uploads activities to the ward calendar, it creates them 1 hour behind the time scheduled in the activity planner. Seems like this is happening to people in Pacific time zone, as it is occurring other contributors on this forum and others in my organization that have also experimented with it. Is there a way to connect with the tech team on the activity planner to look into this? Thanks again.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm trying to get more information. I'm not sure, but I tend to suspect that the Activity Planner uses "local time" - as in it's not time zone aware. The main calendar IS time zone aware. There have been problems with the calendar in the past with Daylight savings. Typically they show up when "current time" is standard and the activity is during DST or the other way around. As such, I suspect the issue isn't with the Activity Planner itself as much as it's either a calendar issue (and the use of the planner is irrelevant) or with the connector used to hand off the event to the calendar.

So I'm trying to ascertain when the activity was placed on the calendar (ST or DST?) and when is the activity itself scheduled for (ST or DST?). Do you get different results depending on the date of the scheduled activity? Do you get different results now that the US has switched to Standard Time? That would be evidence that the problem is a DST issue, not a MT/PT issue.

joshuarcarter

Post by joshuarcarter »

Thanks for continuing to look into this. The issue is the same whether it was scheduled prior to daylight savings or after, with activities prior or after. The issue also occurs independent of the ward calendar with the meeting reminders that the activity planner sends out for people to synch into their personal calendars. I believe that anyone who tries the planner in PT has the same problem, as I've now had many people try it. So, to me, it seems like this is an activity planner bug. How do we connect directly with the activity planner tech folks at lds.org? Thanks much.

Return to “Calendar”