"Send A Message" only works for those with "Stake Visibility"

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
dpenrod75

Re: "Send A Message" only works for those with "Stake Visibi

Post by dpenrod75 »

aebrown wrote:
dpenrod75 wrote:Only a leader can use the send message app in LCR.
That may be true now, but it won't necessarily always be the case. More and more callings are getting access to portions of LCR, and if the Send a Message features gets updated, it may well allow expanded access, too.

Also, every message is sent BCC (regardless of privacy settings), so your proposal to send messages with BCC if the privacy setting is Leadership Only wouldn't make any difference.
If you send a message to leaders, it goes in the "To" field. If you send a message to members, it goes in the "Bcc" field. I use this application on a weekly basis, and this is how it works for me.

I don't see the church ever allowing non leadership to broadcast messages to a stake or ward.

Again, if only a leader can only use this app and a leader can see e-mail addresses with the highest level of all the visibility restrictions placed on an e-mail address in the directory anyway, it doesn't make since why a "leader" cannot use the send message application to send a message to a member who's privacy setting is "Leadership Only". Besides, that same leader can copy and past that members address in their own e-mail program and send that person a message.

If the members address is in the Bcc field, no-one else will see it except the leader who sent the message and the member. That in no way violates the members preference to have "Leadership Only" visibility for their e-mail address.

Again, if they don't want e-mails from the church, then they should remove the e-mail address from the directory.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dpenrod75 wrote:If you send a message to leaders, it goes in the "To" field. If you send a message to members, it goes in the "Bcc" field. I use this application on a weekly basis, and this is how it works for me.
True. However, my response assumed that your post was continuing the discussion, which as far as I can tell was only about sending to members. If you intended to change the subject to discuss messages to leaders, then my assumption was incorrect.
dpenrod75 wrote:I don't see the church ever allowing non leadership to broadcast messages to a stake or ward.
That depends on the definition of "leadership." To this point, the term "leadership" in the privacy setting "Private -- Leadership only" includes only bishoprics, stake presidencies, clerks, and executive secretaries. But the term "leader" in Leader and Clerk Resources is now much broader, as it includes quorum and auxiliary presidencies. I could certainly see the possibility that a member of that broader set of leaders might eventually be able to broadcast messages to the ward, but still not be allowed to see email addresses set to "Private -- Leadership only." Of course, that's just my speculation, but it certainly seems possible.
dpenrod75 wrote:Again, if only a leader can only use this app and a leader can see e-mail addresses with the highest level of all the visibility restrictions placed on an e-mail address in the directory anyway, it doesn't make since why a "leader" cannot use the send message application to send a message to a member who's privacy setting is "Leadership Only". Besides, that same leader can copy and past that members address in their own e-mail program and send that person a message.
I don't think anyone disputes that it should work that way. It's just a question of when it will become a high enough priority to fix.
dpenrod75 wrote:If the members address is in the Bcc field, no-one else will see it except the leader who sent the message and the member. That in no way violates the members preference to have "Leadership Only" visibility for their e-mail address.
Agreed. My comment was based on my assumption that you were talking about using the BCC for sending messages to members whose email addresses the sender would not have access to see. You clarified that this is not the case.
dpenrod75 wrote:Again, if they don't want e-mails from the church, then they should remove the e-mail address from the directory.
Agreed, but there is an additional capability that your statement doesn't cover. As has been noted previously, the privacy setting exists precisely so that members have the option of allowing leaders to see their email address, but not the general membership. That assumes (and I certainly know of cases where this is definitely true) that there are some members who want to receive emails from the Church (meaning leaders) but not from the church (meaning the general membership).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dpenrod75 wrote:Again, if only a leader can only use this app and a leader can see e-mail addresses with the highest level of all the visibility restrictions placed on an e-mail address in the directory anyway, it doesn't make since why a "leader" cannot use the send message application to send a message to a member who's privacy setting is "Leadership Only".
The problem lies in defining "leader". In many of the tools, "leader" in the context of a ward is the Bishopric, Executive Secretary and clerks. And in the beginning, that's all who had access to LCR. But that's now changed. Should a Primary President be able to see your "Leadership Only" family if you have no children? If so, why? They have no stewardship over you. And they do have access to LCR.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dpenrod75

Post by dpenrod75 »

This is a great discussion of viewpoints and hopefully something will be developed to make everyone happy. From my perspective, when my stake president asks me to e-mail all the bishoprics in the stake and a handful of them have a setting for "Leadership Only" visibility I can't use the "Send Message" application to get the word out to them, but I can get their e-mail addresses from the directory and use my personal e-mail program. Some of you may think that makes since, but to me it doesn't. If I can see their e-mail address in the directory and use my personal e-mail program to send them a message, I would expect the "Send Message" application would recognize that and allow me to use it to also send them a message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dpenrod75 wrote:...when my stake president asks me to e-mail all the bishoprics in the stake and a handful of them have a setting for "Leadership Only" visibility I can't use the "Send Message" application to get the word out to them, but I can get their e-mail addresses from the directory and use my personal e-mail program. Some of you may think that makes since [sense], but to me it doesn't.
I have yet to see anyone who thinks that makes sense. Everyone I've ever heard from on this topic agrees with you. It's simply a question of priorities and timing for an eventual fix.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It makes sense the LCR has the logic. But the current functioning doesn't make sense. But it's a outgrowth of changes over time. The current function was never the intended function.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
smorris

Post by smorris »

I am still having problems with the email.

We have an aging ward and want to send out the ward newsletter via a link or email.

As a member of the bishopric I can see and enter email addresses for the entire ward, but when I use the adults function under the Directory/ward organizations, I only get email addresses for members who's privacy setting is set to stake. If they are set to ward or private leader only their email address does not show up in the list that is created. There has to be a bug in this. If I'm not leadership, then who is? The only way I could make it work was to enter their account and change the setting to stake.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

smorris wrote:... when I use the adults function under the Directory/ward organizations, I only get email addresses for members who's privacy setting is set to stake. If they are set to ward or private leader only their email address does not show up in the list that is created. There has to be a bug in this. If I'm not leadership, then who is?
It's not the way anyone expects it to work, but the reason is explained in this post. Apparently fixing it has not become a priority compared with everything else that needs to be done.
smorris wrote:The only way I could make it work was to enter their account and change the setting to stake.
Please note that you should only change members' privacy settings with their permission.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”