Wireless Access

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Keith W-p40

Wireless Access

Post by Keith W-p40 »

In our Stake Center we have an FHC with full web access (Cisco Pix, etc.). The Stake Presidency would like to have high speed web access for the Stake Clerk pc as well as the three wards that are in the building. My thought was to just use wireless, but my FM is telling me that using wireless is not authorized for ward machines transmitting MLS data. I have looked all over the LDS Tech website and cannot find any letters of instruction prohibiting this, can someone shed a little light on this topic for me? Thanks in advance!
:confused:
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Keith W wrote:In our Stake Center we have an FHC with full web access (Cisco Pix, etc.). The Stake Presidency would like to have high speed web access for the Stake Clerk pc as well as the three wards that are in the building. My thought was to just use wireless, but my FM is telling me that using wireless is not authorized for ward machines transmitting MLS data. I have looked all over the LDS Tech website and cannot find any letters of instruction prohibiting this, can someone shed a little light on this topic for me?
You can't find any letters or policies prohibiting this, because it is not prohibited. Many buildings with CCNs (the Internet connections typically associated with FHCs) were equipped by the Church with wireless, and the 11 Feb 2008 letter authorized MLS computers to connect to CCN networks. In many buildings, the only reasonable way to connect MLS computers to the CCN is via those wireless connections, that were clearly designed to be used by MLS computers (at least that is the way it was done in the two buildings in my stake that have FHCs).

The above may not seem conclusive. Also, it only covers wireless equipment installed by the Church. However, there is a long thread on this exact topic, including both existing wireless (provided by the Church) and new wireless (provided by the stake). Pay particular attention to this post, and this post, both of which are from Church employees. Both those posts make it very clear that wireless access is approved for MLS computers, as long as WPA security is used.
Keith W-p40

Post by Keith W-p40 »

Thanks Alan. I had planned to use at least WPA encryption anyway. I will read up on the posts you suggested and re-approach my FM on this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Keith W wrote:but my FM is telling me that using wireless is not authorized for ward machines transmitting MLS data.
It used to be that connecting the MLS computers to the Internet was prohibited, but that's no longer true.

However, your machines do need to be up to standards. In most cases that means having Desktop 5.5 installed on the computer.
Keith W-p40

Post by Keith W-p40 »

Thanks for the info. about the Desktop 5.5, I have three wards left and then I will have finally finished off the whole Stake!!!! That will be a huge relief off of my shoulders.
:D

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”