How to save a list of current donors?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
dkarbuckle

How to save a list of current donors?

Post by dkarbuckle »

With tithing settlement coming up soon, I would like to get a list of the current donors in our ward. I can "see" this list using the "print donor statements" which gives you the option to select just households, however I can seem to find a way to print this list of donors. What I would really like is to be able save this to a soft copy which could be used to keep track of the families for tithing settlement.

I've looked MLS's finance section and I've searched this forum for a solution, and can't seem to find exactly what I want...so I'd really appreciate any help in figuring out how to do this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to save a list of current donors?

Post by russellhltn »

dkarbuckle wrote:What I would really like is to be able save this to a soft copy which could be used to keep track of the families for tithing settlement.
I'd go with something from the membership side.

Just because no one donated to the ward doesn't mean they haven't been donating to the church or won't be doing tithing settlement. (A few will write a big check at the end of the year.) Donors who have moved out should be doing tithing settlement in their new ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dkarbuckle

Post by dkarbuckle »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, there are certainly people/families that I will be adding to our list that I will be contacting for tithing settlement. However, the list of families who have made some contribution during the year is a good starting point for those that should be seen by the bishop. Just can't seem to figure out how to get this and I was really hoping to not have to edit down our whole ward directory.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dkarbuckle wrote:...the list of families who have made some contribution during the year is a good starting point for those that should be seen by the bishop. Just can't seem to figure out how to get this and I was really hoping to not have to edit down our whole ward directory.
There's no way to do this electronically, since there's no way to export data from the finance section of MLS (not even copy/paste). So your best bet is to start with the ward directory and pare it down as needed.
dkarbuckle

Post by dkarbuckle »

aebrown -- Thanks for the information...although it isn't what I was hoping to hear. This certainly would be nice feature to add as I would suspect that I'm not the only person that would like to have an electronic or paper copy of this list.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dkarbuckle wrote:With tithing settlement coming up soon, I would like to get a list of the current donors in our ward.
I noticed you mentioned tithing settlement in your reason for wanting to print a list of donors. Tithing settlement is for all members of your ward and not just those who made a donation directly to your ward. Everyone with a membership record in your ward needs to declare their tithing status to the bishop. I don't see how a printout of a list of names of those who have made any direct donation, which includes those making a tithing donation as well as other donations, would be of any benefit.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dkarbuckle

Post by dkarbuckle »

JD Lessley -- You are correct that tithing settlement is indeed for all members. However the reality is that most inactive members are not interest in meeting with the bishop to discuss their tithing status. I have served as a bishop and understand the responsibility for obtaining the tithing declaration from the member themselves, but our focus is to first make sure those that made any donation during the year have the opportunity to meet with the bishop to declare their tithing status.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”