Directoy Error - Only 15 people out of 500 showing up (FR)

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
eliott.mourier

Directoy Error - Only 15 people out of 500 showing up (FR)

Post by eliott.mourier »

Hello,
I was very happy when I read the announcement in August that ressources where going to be extended to ward council members. As a Young Men President in my ward in France, I've never been able to get access to the full ward directory (it was the same when i was Elder Quorum president 5 years ago), neither on the lds.org nor on the LDSTools apps. I actually only see about 15 random membres listed. Always the same list with both active and totally inactive people (me and my wife included) who have probably never ever created an LDS account. That means I cannot even see my Young Men which is really problematic.
I was hoping that the new release would correct this bug who makes the directory useless for most of the ward. When I was consellor in the Bishopric (6months ago) i had no problems and the whole list was being displayed correctly. It seems that there is a permission issue here.
I am in the Nogent ward, Paris East Stake, France, if needed I'd be glad to answer further questions.

Thank you very much,
eliott.mourier

Re: Directoy Error - Only 15 people out of 500 showing up (F

Post by eliott.mourier »

Well reading a few posts below I probably found part of the issue :
Someone has set their privacy setting to 'leadership only'. That limits their visibility to just the bishopric and Stake presidency.
Well if that is the case it is certainly something that should be revised. If the default privacy setting for all members of the ward is set to "leadership only", this should include the ward council members. Otherwise the directory will only be useful to the Bishopric who are certainly not the only leader of the ward in need of those informations.
In my ward only 15 people out of 500 did switch (volontarily or not) their setting.

Isn't there a way to do it backwards and have the default setting set to "public" unless someone turns it private ? That would make more sense since this information are anyway available via MLS to us...
eblood66

Re: Directoy Error - Only 15 people out of 500 showing up (F

Post by eblood66 »

eliott.mourier wrote:Well if that is the case it is certainly something that should be revised. If the default privacy setting for all members of the ward is set to "leadership only", this should include the ward council members. Otherwise the directory will only be useful to the Bishopric who are certainly not the only leader of the ward in need of those informations.
Determining which leaders have access to "leadership only" information is both a policy and legal issue. Previously the decision was that only the bishopric, clerks and executive secretary have access. I'm sure that decision was not made lightly and was done with careful analysis of the applicable laws.

However, with the new release of LCR it looks like leaders of organizations have access to certain sensitive data for those in their organization. The provides some hope that the restrictions in the Directory might eventually change but probably only for members of their own organization. So the Relief Society President would be able to see all adult sisters but not men or children (unless their privacy options have been changed). But there has been no announcement that this will happen and it's only speculation on my part. I expect there are some technical difficulties as well because the Directory generally shows whole households and probably isn't designed to show only part of a household.

Have you looked in LCR to see if you can see information on all young men? It's possible you have access to that information on that site even though it isn't in the Directory.
eliott.mourier wrote:Isn't there a way to do it backwards and have the default setting set to "public" unless someone turns it private ? That would make more sense since this information are anyway available via MLS to us...
In some area's of the world (including the US) that is the default. But privacy laws for online information are different in Europe and in order to comply with those laws the church has to use an 'opt-in' arrangement rather than an 'opt-out'. I'm not a lawyer but I don't think it matters that you can access the information in MLS. The privacy laws restrict how the information can be provided on-line.
Biggles

Re: Wireless Survey of church building with Netspot

Post by Biggles »

eliott.mourier wrote:Well reading a few posts below I probably found part of the issue :
Someone has set their privacy setting to 'leadership only'. That limits their visibility to just the bishopric and Stake presidency.
Well if that is the case it is certainly something that should be revised. If the default privacy setting for all members of the ward is set to "leadership only", this should include the ward council members. Otherwise the directory will only be useful to the Bishopric who are certainly not the only leader of the ward in need of those informations.
In my ward only 15 people out of 500 did switch (volontarily or not) their setting.

Isn't there a way to do it backwards and have the default setting set to "public" unless someone turns it private ? That would make more sense since this information are anyway available via MLS to us...
Notwithstanding other issues, for most European countries the default setting is for opting out. This is a European Community directive. The USA, on the other hand, defaults to the visibility as opted in, unless the member decides otherwise.

Edit: Just seen ebloods response, which sums it up exactly!

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”