inSSIDer

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
craiggsmith

inSSIDer

Post by craiggsmith »

I used to use inSSIDer (recommended by the Church) on my PC to look at wireless, but it looks like it's not free any more. Any suggested substitutes?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: inSSIDer

Post by russellhltn »

Doesn't look all that sophisticated to me. If you have a Android device, consider WiFi Analyzer. I use it and like it. It allows you to assign an alias name (such as "Chapel") to MAC addresses which makes it easier to interpret.

Another tool I like is Fing which allows you to look at the devices on the network. (What services is the ward computer advertising?)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Craig, look for a copy of Version 3 out there it was still free for that one... if not, shoot me a PM, I may have an idea or two.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I do use WiFi Analyzer on my phone, just liked the software for my laptop as well. I might actually have an old installer around, I'll have to take a look.

Thanks!
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

P.S. a mobile-friendly version of TM would be nice too!
Craig
South Jordan, UT
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

MajorGeeks still has version 3 available for download; http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/inssider.html
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

I have had excellent results with Nirsoft's "WifiInfoView" (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html) for a windows laptop.
No frills, just the data...
No connection other than a satisfied user.

Aaron Z

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”