Easier way to transfer MLS to a new computer

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
narendly

Easier way to transfer MLS to a new computer

Post by narendly »

Our branch is located overseas (South Korea) and it is an English-speaking military branch. I am trying to transfer the data and MLS access over onto the new computer and I discovered that you have to get in direct touch with Salt Lake. Since we are located overseas this causes some inconvenience for us--is there any protocol for wards/branches located outside the U.S. to facilitate the process without having to call the Salt Lake office directly? Please advise.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Easier way to transfer MLS to a new computer

Post by russellhltn »

The instruction for Setting Up a New Clerk Computer doesn't mention needing to do a security reset, so it might be worth a try just to see if it will work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

You might want to take a look at the steps I laid out a few years back in this thread...

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=61806#p61806

The post outlines updating from Windows XP to Windows 7, so some the paths might have to be altered if your existing PC is already on Windows 7. I replaced every MLS PC in our stake using this procedure and never once had to call CHQ to have the security token reset.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Yes, I believe the location of the MLS data files has changed. It is now stored under the C:\ProgramData\LDS Church\MLS folder. I am really glad that they separated the data from Program Files.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

narendly wrote:is there any protocol for wards/branches located outside the U.S. to facilitate the process without having to call the Salt Lake office directly? Please advise.
Calling to reset the security key is pretty simple – you don't have to be near the computer when you call (i.e. you can call from your home, late at night or early in the morning). They just verify that you (or whoever calls) is a clerk in the appropriate ward or stake, and then they reset the key. You do need to have your unit number handy (which is on CDOL, if you don't have it). The next time you log on to MLS, Send/Receive will work.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that long-distance charges may be an issue (I was only thinking about time of day and being at the clerks' office).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hopefully your calling the 800 number, so long distance isn't a issue.

But you have to make sure that no one will slip in and do a send/receive between your reset and when you do the move. Otherwise you'll be calling in for another reset.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”