How to Get More Users

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
WelchTC

How to Get More Users

Post by WelchTC »

My goal is to get 10,000 registered members by the end of the year on this web site. Currently we are at 760 which is a great start but the trend is definitely slowing down. There are so many people out there that do not know about this site yet. How do we reach them? Post you ideas and thoughts here.

Tom
cottrells

Post by cottrells »

How about starting with a "News from the Church" article on the LDS Daily News mailing list, which also gets posted on LDS.org?
captaz-p40

How I Found It

Post by captaz-p40 »

I found this through Joel's Blog which I found when the Tech Talks were briefly advertised on the lds.org homepage. I'm sure that web space on the main LDS site is tough to claim....

Many users of the site are likely the ward/stake website administrators. In general an administrator news page or email list would be a welcome idea--and what better way to inagurate such an email list/news group than an add for the Tech Forum.

Also, a huge tech-saavy population is currently being educated in the Chruch's universities (and associated institutes). A strategically placed announcement in the Computer Science department or institute bulletin board would reap numerous new users, I am sure.
mkmurray

University CS Departments

Post by mkmurray »

captaz wrote:Also, a huge tech-saavy population is currently being educated in the Chruch's universities (and associated institutes). A strategically placed announcement in the Computer Science department or institute bulletin board would reap numerous new users, I am sure.

I used some of my contacts at BYU to get the word around to a few teaching assistants and professors for the Tech Talks. In one case, a teaching assistant told his whole class about the Tech Talk.

I think it would be a great idea to reach out to the whole BYU (and the U, and UVSC, etc. for that matter) CS department somehow. I know the CS department sends announcements regularly to all of it's students about upcoming events and meetings. Most CS students definitely read those emails (and in some cases attend). If there was an announcment about the Tech Forums, I bet you many would be willing to give it a look.

Tom, I know one or two email address you could try (heads of the CS department in Provo). Let me know if you are interested.
WelchTC

Great ideas...

Post by WelchTC »

Some great ideas! Keep 'em coming!

Tom
richardkmiller-p40

Post by richardkmiller-p40 »

You could allow the creation of "LDS Tech Chapters" around the country. Someone in each city could recruit local techies to be part of the local group and the global group.
greenwoodkl

LDS Tech Community Membership

Post by greenwoodkl »

I had similar thoughts about an LDS Tech Association with local chapters throughout the world. I discussed my ideas in this [thread=111]thread[/thread]. In summary, I think this site could become a "HQ" for the LDS Tech Community Association similar to the BYU Alumni Association or BYU Management Society. This site could host templates for charters, resources, directories on the non-forum pages. Membership could have a small fee to receive a membership card, hold regular meetings. These groups could work in conjunction with the above named BYU and other Church/non-Church affiliated groups. They could also host "Tech Talks" as they hopefully spread around the country or hold their own events as long as they follow certain guidelines to protect the Church's interests and image.
mkmurray

THREAD tags!

Post by mkmurray »

kgthunder wrote:...I discussed my ideas in this [thread=111]thread[/thread]...
Sorry, I just have to quickly complement kgthunder's use of the thread tags, keeping the link relative even if we move domains or something!

The exact text was as follows:

[noparse][thread=111]thread[/thread][/noparse]

Thanks kgthunder!
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

No problem... ;) I learned from last time when I got burned for direct links. :)
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

I learned from [post=923]last time[/post] when you tried to fix my link ;)

Return to “General Discussions”