Budget Report Corrupted with 3.7.3

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
rmwooten

Budget Report Corrupted with 3.7.3

Post by rmwooten »

After the 3.7.3 MLS software install took place I noticed that all of the data for five of six of our budget categories were missing. The names were still there but all the associated data was missing. The resulting balance was also reduced by the missing data. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with this release?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Budget Report Corrupted with 3.7.3

Post by jdlessley »

Was it the same way on the View/Edit Budget screen?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jmalyn

Post by jmalyn »

I have something similar in mine. The 'BU-General Fund' category is now blank in the 'Budget Report' screen, and in the 'View/Edit Budget' screen under the 4 quarters of funds is a negative amount in 'Adjustments' that was not there previously.

The hint you gave that it may match the blank category does answer the question I had on what the 'Adjustments' amount may be. So it definitely sounds like a bug, hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Even checking prior years (using Previous Year in the report screen, and selecting last year in the edit screen) shows the numbers missing in the report, and a matching negative amount in adjustments in the edit screen.
rmwooten

Post by rmwooten »

Both the data and the names are gone for the missing categories in the view/edit screen for our unit.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

jmalyn wrote:I have something similar in mine. The 'BU-General Fund' category is now blank in the 'Budget Report' screen, and in the 'View/Edit Budget' screen under the 4 quarters of funds is a negative amount in 'Adjustments' that was not there previously.

The hint you gave that it may match the blank category does answer the question I had on what the 'Adjustments' amount may be. So it definitely sounds like a bug, hopefully it will be fixed soon.
If you believe you have found a bug, please contact the Global Service Center so that they can work with you to identify and document it for the developers. Talking about it here may get you some assistance from other users, but we need you to work through the GSC to get it through the process so that we can work on correcting it.
jmalyn

Post by jmalyn »

I called the global service center tonight, and found out some more about this. The category 'Budget Allocations' and any sub-categories under it aren't supposed to be used any more. So the fix is to adjust any expenses that were under that to one of the other main categories, or one of their sub-categories. So for instance we may have had a reimbursement for stamps that we just listed as general, but instead we had to move it to 'Administration'.

Once all of those were adjusted, then everything except one check matched up for the 'Budget Report' and 'View/Edit Budget' screens. The one check that didn't match was one issued in late 2013 that we canceled and reissued in early 2014. That one check from 2013 had also been issued from the same general category, but couldn't be edited since it was a reissued check.

So in a way, an undocumented change, but not entirely unexpected as I believe there had been something about a year ago about cleaning up categories and using the organization specific budget categories.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jmalyn wrote:I called the global service center tonight, and found out some more about this. The category 'Budget Allocations' and any sub-categories under it aren't supposed to be used any more. So the fix is to adjust any expenses that were under that to one of the other main categories, or one of their sub-categories.
That statement is close, but not entirely correct. It has always been and still is appropriate to use the Budget Allocations category, but it is to be used only for very specific purposes. It is certainly not to be used for general expenses. It should be used only for checks and deposits and transfers that are specifically related to allocations. For example, a stake may choose to give an extra allocation to a particular ward. That could be done by the stake writing a check from its Budget Allocations category, and then the receiving ward would deposit that check into its Budget Allocations category. That deposit would then appear just like the automatic quarterly allocation.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”