Mls 2.8.3

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Mls 2.8.3

Post by lajackson »

MLS 2.8.3 downloaded to our computers this week, but the MLS download site is still showing it as a beta, with 2.8.2 being current.

Did I miss something? Even though our stake has been on the beta program in the past, downloads have not been automatic.

This came as a patch that could not be refused.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Even though our stake has been on the beta program in the past, downloads have not been automatic.
Not even small ones? I wonder why.

Then again, maybe part of this beta is to make sure the upgrade from 2.8.2 works smoothly. That wouldn't normally be a concern when issuing new beta builds.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:MLS 2.8.3 downloaded to our computers this week, but the MLS download site is still showing it as a beta, with 2.8.2 being current.

Did I miss something? Even though our stake has been on the beta program in the past, downloads have not been automatic.

This came as a patch that could not be refused.

My stake also participates in the beta program, and we have been getting automatic updates (through the MLS standard send/receive update system) to beta versions for the last several test cycles. I can't explain why that might not have been happening for you in the past, but it seems likely that what you experienced this time was indeed an automatic update to the beta 2.8.3 because your stake does participate in the beta program.

For now, at least, the automatic update is the only way to get 2.8.3b2, as the link to the download on mls.lds.org is broken. I have reported that broken link in an e-mail to msrmail@ldsmail.net, but I have not heard back anything, and it is still broken this morning.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I was in my clerks office while preparing for another meeting today and heard something about a 'five-minute download'. Did they push 2.8.3 out today or was this simply a routine download, or maybe a quick patch they needed to send out on 2.8.2?

We're still using dialup in my stake, would have heard if they had put the MLS computers online, although we are in an area they are rolling meetinghouse Internet out to.
clbeazer

Post by clbeazer »

JamesAnderson wrote:I was in my clerks office while preparing for another meeting today and heard something about a 'five-minute download'. Did they push 2.8.3 out today or was this simply a routine download, or maybe a quick patch they needed to send out on 2.8.2?

We're still using dialup in my stake, would have heard if they had put the MLS computers online, although we are in an area they are rolling meetinghouse Internet out to.
I believe the 5 minute download you are referring to is the auto download of 2.8.3 that will occur on or about 13 June.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

We got an MLS message about it this morning. It doesn't really have anything to do with switching off of dialup. I think it's just a fairly small update (in size).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JamesAnderson wrote:I ... heard something about a 'five-minute download'. Did they push 2.8.3 out today or was this simply a routine download, or maybe a quick patch they needed to send out on 2.8.2?
It took about three minutes on a 41k dialup. It was MLS 2.8.3_13763, May 28, 2008 18:16. I noticed at the download site (with the broken link) that they were offering b2_ and now b3_13810 (as of June 7th), but the link is still broken.

Build 3 was not sent to any of our computers this Sunday.

An MLS message said 2.8.3 will arrive officially this coming week.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:It took about three minutes on a 41k dialup. It was MLS 2.8.3_13763, May 28, 2008 18:16. I noticed at the download site (with the broken link) that they were offering b2_ and now b3_13810 (as of June 7th), but the link is still broken.

Build 3 was not sent to any of our computers this Sunday.

An MLS message said 2.8.3 will arrive officially this coming week.

Please don't confuse the beta with the actual release.

Some stakes are on the beta test program (lajackson's stake is one of them). For these few stakes, beta test versions of MLS 2.8.3 have been downloaded last week and this week. Those are the versions with a "b" in them. But most stakes didn't get those automatic downloads, since they aren't beta testing MLS.

Everyone got a message via MLS today talking about the official release of MLS 2.8.3. That message said that it would be downloaded to computers after June 13th. For all stakes not participating in the beta program, there was no software download today and won't be until after June 13th. The MLS message was simply warning people that it was coming.

What people experienced on the beta program for download times may not be relevant for the official release. But the MLS message said it would be under 5 minutes on dialup, so it's not going to take very long for anyone.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Please don't confuse the beta with the actual release.
Very good point. The real deal is not due out until after this Friday.

I was surprised that we have not received any beta downloads in the last year, and all of a sudden several of our units got a beta (b2) that did not go to all the units in the stake. And since then, none have received b3.

I wonder if one of the betas escaped accidentally?

It is all just part of the fun, isn't it?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

That looks like what happened then, is they got the message saying there would be an update later. The rest of what you are saying clicks as well, so that mention of a '5-minute download' was referring to the actual full release of 2.8.3 then.

Thanks for confirming what I had thought.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”