"Where" data on stake calendar missing on Google Calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rbcjas

"Where" data on stake calendar missing on Google Calendar

Post by rbcjas »

When synchronizing Google Calendars with our Stake Calendar information from the "Description" field and "Time" field appear as expected on Google Calendar... both on the computer and the Android Google Calendar App. However, the "Where" information for events entered into the Stake Calendar do not appear on either of these Google Calendar applications. Is there a reason for this, a check box, or a fix available?
Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: "Where" data on stake calendar missing on Google Calenda

Post by russellhltn »

Seems to be OK for me, but I've seen some oddities in the past. Just to be clear, is the "where" a church building (has a "house" symbol on the on-line calendar) or "other"?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rbcjas

Post by rbcjas »

In response to your question, I don't have editor or publisher rights to our stake calendar. I'm just a subscriber so I don't seem to see any "house" symbol mentioned.
I have uploaded a PDF file with examples and screen shots which should aid in understanding what I am seeing and not seeing... you see :D
Attachments
some information missing from Google Calendar synchronized to LDS stake calendar.pdf
Example Screenshots of what does and doesn't appear
(339.82 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The BSA event scheduled for 7PM on October 4th is the only event I see that has scheduled a location. All others are using the "Other location" feature. And that's a known problem: "Other location" missing from iCal file

The developers are aware of the problem. There a new calendar in Beta testing, so perhaps it will get fixed when 2.7 goes live. I don't have any date for that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rbcjas

Location data on stake calendar missing on Google Calendar

Post by rbcjas »

From the 2012 date which appears on the original posting of this issue provided by the link it appears this is a tough problem to crack.

For now the answer seems to be:
Whenever possible use the "Location" field for an event but when it's necessary to use the "Other Location" field the best practice would be to also add the location information somewhere in the "Description" field.

The worst this would do is cause the location to appear twice after the bug is resolved. This is certainly better than having no location appear for those using Google Calender for their "combined personal" calendar on computer and Android devices.

Many thanks for the impressively quick follow up.

Return to “Calendar”