Updating member location on map / "Unmapped"

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
cherubio22

Updating member location on map / "Unmapped"

Post by cherubio22 »

I would like to work on updating the member locations as they are shown on the map. Many of the members in our ward are "unmapped" because of mapping/address issues in our area. As I visit these members in their homes I would like to be able to update their actual locations on the maps in lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Updating member location on map / "Unmapped"

Post by russellhltn »

What is your calling? You have to be part of the bishopric, executive secretary or a clerk to do that for families other than your own.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cherubio22

Post by cherubio22 »

Elders Quorum President. I am going to be called as Ward Website Admin or something along those lines. I think the clerk changed permissions to allow me to update address information in MLS. Will that translate to LDS Maps? Is there some other way, temporary or not, to be able to work on this? If I don't do it, it probably won't be done.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

cherubio22 wrote:Elders Quorum President. I am going to be called as Ward Website Admin or something along those lines. I think the clerk changed permissions to allow me to update address information in MLS. Will that translate to LDS Maps? Is there some other way, temporary or not, to be able to work on this? If I don't do it, it probably won't be done.
Permissions in MLS don't give you permissions anywhere else. I don't believe that the Ward Website Administrator has permissions to verify map locations. If the stake is willing, they could call you as an assistant ward clerk. That calling would provide the permissions you'd need.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

According to Verify the Location of Member Households, being called as an assistant clerk is likely the only way. (Unless you want to upgrade to bishopric counselor. ;) )
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

This reminds me of the heated discussion I have with ward clerks every year when I do the membership audits. The clerks want to give "View Membership" and "Edit Membership" MLS permissions to EQ presidents, HPGLs, and RS presidents, so they can update the contact information of the members. I argue that they should not be granted those permissions because it gives them far greater access than the Handbook allows.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
joeneuman

Post by joeneuman »

Would the calling of "assistant membership clerk" give sufficient permissions to update map locations?

I have been going though the same problem. I am a ward missionary and seem to be the only one who sees how having this information updated would greatly help the missionaries as well as ward leadership. I asked to be called as the ward website administrator and it gave me permissions.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

joeneuman wrote:Would the calling of "assistant membership clerk" give sufficient permissions to update map locations?
Yes. Just remember this is a calling issued by the stake.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”