Remove Close Button

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
harddrive

Remove Close Button

Post by harddrive »

Yesterday I was contacted by a user indicating that they can't log into MLS. The user list is now blank, which tells me that someone shut down MLS incorrectly. This could have been that the computer was shut down, but I think the other reason is because someone is use to clicking the "X" button in the upper right corner of the screen, because that is how all other application are shut down.

My request is to either fix that or just remove the use of the "X" button. This way it forces the user to use the logoff or exit button.

thanks for letting me vent.
Terry
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Remove Close Button

Post by aebrown »

harddrive wrote:Yesterday I was contacted by a user indicating that they can't log into MLS. The user list is now blank, which tells me that someone shut down MLS incorrectly. This could have been that the computer was shut down, but I think the other reason is because someone is use to clicking the "X" button in the upper right corner of the screen, because that is how all other application are shut down.
I don't think that clicking on the X button is a possible cause of an incorrect MLS shutdown. Clearly, the application is intentionally handling the X button and treating it exactly like clicking the Exit button. In both case, you're prompted with "Are you sure that you want to exit MLS?" and in both cases you are prompted if you need to make a backup or should be doing a transmission before you exit.

I see no evidence that using the X button could produce the symptoms associated with an improper shutdown, and so there's no good reason to remove the X button from the application.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

Aebrown, I have to disagree with you because according to this page

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Los ... _%28MLS%29

In that page it states:

MLS was closed improperly by:

Using the red X in the top right corner to close the program rather than the Exit button.
Using Ctrl+Alt+Delete to close MLS.
Shutting off the computer with MLS running or before it completely closes. The computer should be shut down only by following the procedure: Start > Shut Down.

So if using the red X in the top right corner is an issue with the user list to be lost, then my point is TAKE IT AWAY.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd check the computer system log and see if the last OS shutdown in question was graceful.

Years ago I had one ward that corrupted their files twice. I then I posted a note that explained the right way to shutdown windows - including shutting down MLS first and waiting until the computer turned itself off before turning off the power strip. I had no problems after that.

If you're using more than one windows login on that machine, I'd consider turning off fast user switching. FUS allows someone to login in without forcing the prior person to log out. But I think it also allows someone to shutdown the machine while the other login still has programs running. I disable it on all of my stake's clerk machines.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

harddrive wrote:Aebrown, I have to disagree with you because according to this page

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Los ... _%28MLS%29

In that page it states...

... So if using the red X in the top right corner is an issue with the user list to be lost, then my point is TAKE IT AWAY.
I'd agree with you if that were actually true. But I don't think we should be relying on very old, user-contributed documentation. Perhaps that was a problem with versions of MLS several years ago, but it's not a problem now.

If you can show me any official documentation to this effect, or actual experience that shows that it is a problem, then I'll certainly change my position. But at this point I see zero reliable evidence that it is a problem.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”