Closed Captions or CC

espanbauer

Closed Captions or CC

Post by espanbauer »

Greetings Brethren and Sisters: I am an individual who is deaf, and have an iPad 4 and will soon get an iPhone 6+. Closed captions rarely work on iPads...? I want to show Bible videos, Youth videos, etc ofvideos to my non member friends, teaching in the church, etc... I can see some available captions on my iMac or PC on the web. But I need it for the iPad to spread the gospel effectively. I know there may be some ongoing efforts, but I'm still waiting and waiting... If you really want to understand my dilemma, then let's remove all audio capabilities from your computers and the internet. Everyone will HOWL beause they wont be able to understand videos, so I fully understand, likewise mine with CC. Please let me know how can I help? Regards, Bro Spanbauer
analyst123

Re: Closed Captions or CC

Post by analyst123 »

I agree 100%. Take away the sound! From what I can tell only a few videos that are attached to YouTube have captioning. In Morman channel under settings turn on YouTube and if the video is captioned it should show. Shame all the money we pay in tithing and they can't do this probably not simple thing or put it on a higher priority. They can build temples!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The standard for CC on analog television is well established.

From what I understand, CC for streaming video is a mix of standards and none universal. You might find that just by switching to a different viewer, CC will work.

It's not the church's job to establish world-wide standards.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
analyst123

Post by analyst123 »

So far using you tube on computer and connecting you tube to my pad then my wireless blue ray player and then using the blue ray remote turn on captions I can now see the captions. Maybe it's the pad. I'll attack Apple now. If I find a solution I'll post. If anyone wants more info contact me on this forum it's a bit complicated. I'm still working on getting it so I don't have to turn on captions for each video.
analyst123

Post by analyst123 »

Christmas messages are not captioned. If cc is blacked out or can't select then cc is not there for any platform. Some videos if you set you tube to always caption it is sometimes there. If the cc is selectable on any platform it will usually work or tell you not available but is very complicated. Straight ipad is still a nogo. Would like feedback from anyone using android app on this topic.
So now that I fully researched this I will rephrase my question.

Why does the church have closed caption on some videos and not all.

We know it's not for the lack of money.

Yes I want to step on toes on this subject and I hope it hurts. Someone is not doing their job!
The one video so far that it says cc not available lists Bible.org instead of Mormon.org

Ok now watching a bible.org that caption came up automatically. This is where we are on this Good Luck.
analyst123

Post by analyst123 »

Ok here is what I've discovered in one day of research.

If the video has captioning the captioning will work if you turn it on on any device that supports flash. May need to stream from YouTube instead of the library. So far everything I looked for in the video library is also linked to YouTube.

Apple does not support flash and will not be supporting flash ever. Meaning it won't work on an iPad or iPhone unless you stream it to another device like I did with my blue ray wireless player.

It won't work on chromecast either because the chromecast device is just a receiver. Tested I have one.

Apple TV probably won't work either because Apple doesn't support flash.
What I don't get is what is the big tie in to flash. I can stream HBO and all other movies and get captioning.
I know this is a pain and a work around but at least now we know.

I also found a possible work around for the flash problem. If you search on the Apple App Store for flash web browser you will see a bunch of choices all that you have to pay for so obviously I'm not going that route.
analyst123

Post by analyst123 »

analyst123 wrote:Christmas messages are not captioned. If cc is blacked out or can't select then cc is not there for any platform. Some videos if you set you tube to always caption it is sometimes there. If the cc is selectable on any platform it will usually work or tell you not available but is very complicated. Straight ipad is still a nogo. Would like feedback from anyone using android app on this topic.
So now that I fully researched this I will rephrase my question.

So going forward can someone make sure captioning gets on everthing?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

analyst123 wrote:So going forward can someone make sure captioning gets on everthing?
The forum is primarily user to user support. Your best chance to get your issue to those who can do anything about it is by submitting feedback using the LDS.org feedback link.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
analyst123

Post by analyst123 »

I've also learned when playing a video if you click on unknown cc it will work or down at the bottom of the screen it flash no cc available for this title. Further investigation into this is its Apple's fault because for whatever reason most videos cc will work on a windows computer because they support FLASH. Apple does not and will never support flash from what I've read. Just got an Apple TV box latest and greatest. Set the closed captioning and if it's there it will pick it up. Some videos I have to push an icon, brings up cc option, tap that and it works if there is captioning in the video. Like you tube I have to do that for every video can't set as standard. Sorry if this is confusing but it's not an easy issue.
And no getting the attention that this subject needs such as president of the video department nothing will ever get done with this issue. I can only pray that the prophet can get a vision from God to address this issue.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

analyst123 wrote:I can only pray that the prophet can get a vision from God to address this issue.
jdlessley wrote:Your best chance to get your issue to those who can do anything about it is by submitting feedback using the LDS.org feedback link.
Prayer is wonderful, but as jdlessley said earlier, submitting feedback is the best way to get your request to the right people who are in a position to consider a possible solution. Every submittal to Feedback is read and carefully considered.

Return to “Mobile Applications”