Error when attempting to repeat a restriction

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
RodBarnes

Error when attempting to repeat a restriction

Post by RodBarnes »

I created a restriction on a Monday (May 11, 2015) with all the pertinent information and saved it. I confirmed it was on the calendar and then opened it again to make it repeat over the next four days.

I clicked "This event repeats" and selected:
* Repeats -- Daily
* Occurs every -- 4 days
* Repeats until -- a specific date
* End Date -- the following Thursday
* Clicked [Update Restriction]

Calendar displayed and not only did it not repeat the restriction but my original restriction was now gone. I went through this all over again and got the same result.

Then I tried again using a different approach. I selected:
* Repeats -- Weekly
* Occurs every -- 1 weeks on Tue, Wed, Thu
* Repeats until -- a specific number of occurences
* Occurences -- 1

This time, it displayed the activity spinner and then this error:

The page at https://www.lds.org says:
Sorry, the data service has failed. Please contact support.

I tried once more combining the two:
* Repeats -- Weekly
* Occurs every -- 1 weeks on Tue, Wed, Thu
* Repeats until -- a specific date
* End Date -- the following Thursday

As with the first time, it displayed the calendar but my original restriction was gone again.

Last I knew, the only "support" was this forum. :-)

I am running Chrome, latest version - 37.0.2062.124
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Error when attempting to repeat a restriction

Post by aebrown »

You left off one very important detail -- you didn't say what kind of restriction you were trying to create. Is it a "Blocked -- Location Unavailable" restriction, or a restriction for a particular ward or the stake unit? If it is a "Blocked" restriction, then this is a known problem. See the discussion at Adding a repeating restriction - doesn't work for a confirmation of the problem, a possible workaround, and some reasons why "blocked" restrictions should rarely if ever be used.
RodBarnes

Post by RodBarnes »

Thanks for the reply. Yes this was for a "blocked location" restriction. I'll check out the article you referenced. In this instance, it really is the appropriate type of restriction (I believe) because it is not associated with a unit but a non-Church organization. However, if this is broken, I probably could set it to be the stake as the unit. Anyway, I'll check out the reference. Thanks again.
RodBarnes

Post by RodBarnes »

One follow-up note: I was curious why I was able to do this previously (in the current year) without encountering this. In that instance, I had opted to select the stake when creating the restriction. Seems I'll be doing that again.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RodBarnes wrote:Thanks for the reply. Yes this was for a "blocked location" restriction. I'll check out the article you referenced. In this instance, it really is the appropriate type of restriction (I believe) because it is not associated with a unit but a non-Church organization. However, if this is broken, I probably could set it to be the stake as the unit. Anyway, I'll check out the reference. Thanks again.
No, that would most definitely NOT be the appropriate type of restriction. You shouldn't be using a restriction at all. If anyone (Church or non-Church) is using the building for some purpose, then you need to schedule an event. That's the only way to reliably book the building. If it's a non-Church organization, then you probably want it to be on a private calendar so that it doesn't clutter a calendar for members, but you definitely should use an event, not a restriction.
RodBarnes

Post by RodBarnes »

Ah, ok, I'll try that then. That was how the previous scheduler was doing things so just following the path. It would be really helpful if the documentation for the calendar were updated, it is really quite outdated. But, being a SW eng, I totally understand that docs are obsolete as soon as printed. :-)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RodBarnes wrote:In that instance, I had opted to select the stake when creating the restriction.
That would allow any stake calendar editor to create an event at that location. Even if you are the only one that schedules events, you'd not receive any kind of warning when you did so. Any member of the stake presidency, executive secretary or clerks can create an event, so any assumption that you're the only stake scheduler is iffy as well.

That doesn't sound like a good plan.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”