Subtitle Options for GC Streams

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
richalger

Subtitle Options for GC Streams

Post by richalger »

Where can I find the options available for subtitles for the many streams and playback options for General Conference?

I particular, can I see the English subtitles translated by the official LDS translators?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Subtitle Options for GC Streams

Post by Mikerowaved »

I'm having a problem too. The following comes from the lds.org How to View Live webpage:
Note: Some viewers have expressed interest in viewing English subtitles for talks given in languages other than English. On the Watch Live conference page it is possible to hear the original language audio, accompanied by English subtitles. In the upper right hand corner of the webpage, select the language audio you would like to hear. Then, in the lower right corner of the viewing window, click on the CC icon to enable Closed Captioning. You will then be able to hear the message in its original language, while reading the English subtitles.
But I (probably like you) could not find a "CC" button anywhere in the viewing window.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:But I (probably like you) could not find a "CC" button anywhere in the viewing window.
In Firefox (and probably most other browsers), it was just to the right of the Play/Pause button and time bar at the bottom, between the Live button and the Full Screen button. It all showed up when I moved the cursor over the viewing window while the broadcast was in progress.
richalger

Post by richalger »

Is it somewhere in the playback player? Could you explain or screenshot where it is in this player?

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... 7001&cid=9
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

It's easy enough to find the closed captioning button for the Sunday Afternoon Session. That's the session you are taken to when you follow the Watch Live link from the Player Features and How to Watch page.

See the CC button in the yellow circle below (which appears a couple of seconds after the video starts playing):
SundayAfternoon.png
SundayAfternoon.png (214.17 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
This will allow you to watch Elder Carlos Godoy's talk (delivered in Portuguese) with English subtitles (at about the 40:05 mark at the above link).

However, as soon as I use the "Choose another session" dropdown to choose the Saturday Morning session, the player no longer has a CC button. At least I can't find any way to make it reappear. So I can't find a way to see the closed captioning on any session other than Sunday Afternoon, Saturday Afternoon, and the General Women's Meeting at this point.

Return to “Main Church Website”