Simplified satellite checklist as PDF form

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
aclawson

Simplified satellite checklist as PDF form

Post by aclawson »

I've converted the simplified checklist into a usable PDF form. This is just the first rough draft, please let me know if you find any bugs or glitches.

(Bit of humor: whoever crafted the original form off of which I based the form originally called this document "wedding day checklist" and I have no (easy) way of changing that.)
Attachments
Simplified STS Satellite Check list R6 kh SAVE ENABLED.pdf
(710.73 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
johnshaw

Re: Simplified satellite checklist as PDF form

Post by johnshaw »

Is it just me or does this seem like something that isn't Simple.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Takes more time to walk around to the various locations and opening the cabinets than actually completing the tasks. The task flow isn't particularly optimized either, but SLC did things for a reason.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

It helps me learn the systems more intimately so as an STS I can fix more things as they go bad, right then and there when they need to be fixed.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

These are the latest instructions provided, found at https://www.lds.org/help/support/satell ... k?lang=eng
The STS should complete the Simplified Checklist once per year, and email the results and any pertinent pictures to the Satellite Support Team for review.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's a check list? First I've heard of that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:There's a check list? First I've heard of that.
Hehe. Same here.

Maybe a couple of suggestions about the form itself...
4. Verify that the you can locate the Audio backup equipment in the building:
c. In the box above below, write in the part numbers for any audio back up equipment available.
The word "above" is used numerous places in the document, when the areas to check or fill in are actually located "below" the text.
5. Check the Receiver Status Light:
c. If the status light is solid, write “solid” followed by the color of the light in the PIC Column
What's a "PIC Column"?
Verify that all Modulators are labeled with their channel number and language:

a. For each modulator installed:
i. Check the front of the modulator to verify that the modulator is labeled with its channel number and language. (In some cases the modulator may serve multiple purposes, is we [???] connected to a switch or patch panel. In these cases the modulator should be labeled accordingly).
ii. If the modulator(s) are labeled, mark “Yes” in the box above.
iii. If the modulator(s) are not labeled, label them, then mark “Yes” in the box above
iv. [???]
11. Verify that raw video jack in the chapel is functional.

In some newer buildings the system is designed with a raw video feed in the chapel which does not require the use of a VCR or tuner to connect to the Projector.
a. If there is no Raw video Jack in the chapel select not present in the box above
b. If there is video jack in the chapel, test it by connection the RCA video output from the jack to the Composite video input on the projector
"Raw video" refers to a type of uncompressed digital signal, and for clarity, probably shouldn't be used here. The correct term is "composite video". Also, the sentence structure of part "b." really needs to be worked over.
12. Temperature of the satellite rack is at or below 85 degrees.

The satellite equipment is sensitive to heat. High temperatures can cause equipment malfunction, and failure. Using a thermometer, measure the temperature of the room where the satellite equipment is housed.
The heading refers to the temperature of the satellite rack, yet the measurement is of the room itself. First, I would think the room temperature would be subject to seasonal changes, especially if near an outside wall, or in an overhead area. And second, I would think the temperature of the warmest component in the rack would be far more beneficial to know. We've seen reported cases here in the forum of a piece of rack equipment running much hotter than what others were experiencing and I don't think that would affect the room temperature very much. Even without an accurate thermometer, an STS can be asked to see if any piece of gear is too hot to lay their hand on for more than 5 seconds or so. That could at least run up a flag for a more thorough investigation by the FM group.
18. Conduit Weather Head is installed and functional:

The cables form from the building should be installed in a Conduit.
19. Grounding Block is installed on the Coax cable and connected to Ground.
a. Trace the Cable from the LNB, doe does it go to a grounding block?.
21. Dish is Free of Debris and Obstructions:
b. If for any reason, the debris is not removed, mark “No” in the [sentence ends]
25. Email a copy of the completed Checklist, and the associated pictures to: to SatelliteCheck@ldschurch.org.
a. In the Subject line of the email, enter [Current Year]-Satellite System Check –[insert property number] [Emphasize this more.]
Satellite Cabinet Information Sheet
Ward or Stake Unity Unit Number: __ __ __ __ __ __
I'm an engineer and far from being an expert in English, but this seems like a pretty important document not to get these basic things corrected. There were other grammatical, punctuation and capitalization errors that I found, but they didn't impact the readability of the document as much as those listed above.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:I'm an engineer and far from being an expert in English, but this seems like a pretty important document not to get these basic things corrected. There were other grammatical, punctuation and capitalization errors that I found, but they didn't impact the readability of the document as much as those listed above.
Need to send that via feedback. It comes from CHQ that way. It's not the OP's fault. He just made an existing PDF a fill-able form.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:Need to send that via feedback. It comes from CHQ that way. It's not the OP's fault. He just made an existing PDF a fill-able form.
I realized that after I was almost finished. I sent them an email with a link to the above post. Hopefully they will take notice.

Another thing that's funny is the odd file name for the church's original PDF of "Simplified STS Satellite Check list R6 kh SAVE ENABLED.pdf". Rev 6 of a rough draft maybe? Even funnier is in the file's metadata, it shows the document title as "Wedding Day Checklist". :) I happened to notice this because the tab in my Firefox browser was labeled "Wedding Day Checklist - Simpl..." and that peaked my curiosity.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I have to say I laughed when I saw they wanted to room to be no warmer than 85F. It can be that warm outside at night. Not sure what the folks in AZ do.

Return to “Satellite”