Setup new pc to access internet

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
mitchellreedmiller

Setup new pc to access internet

Post by mitchellreedmiller »

If I put a new pc in the clerk's office and hook the Ethernet cable into it eventually the networking options will say that it is hooked up to a public network but it has not internet access.

If I go to cmd.exe and run ipconfig /all I see that there is an ip address for the network card of 192.XX.XX.XX but nothing for default gateway or DNS server. I tried rebooting the PC and this did not change.

If I take the PC right to the room where the modem, firewall, etc is located and hook the PC into the router then I get an ip address right away and internet access.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Setup new pc to access internet

Post by aebrown »

mitchellreedmiller wrote:If I put a new pc in the clerk's office and hook the Ethernet cable into it eventually the networking options will say that it is hooked up to a public network but it has not internet access.
It sure sounds like the cable is not actually connected to the firewall. Something is not connected along the path from that cable to the firewall. That could be anywhere from a faulty cable, cable not plugged into a jack, faulty jack, faulty switch, switch with no power, etc. You'll just need to do some standard troubleshooting. That will involve knowing what the path back to the firewall should be, and then starting at one end or the other, testing each component and connection along the way, to find the place where the signal is no longer available.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mitchellreedmiller wrote:If I go to cmd.exe and run ipconfig /all I see that there is an ip address for the network card of 192.XX.XX.XX but nothing for default gateway or DNS server.
That doesn't sound like a self-assigned IP address. Either the computer is set for a static address, or you've got another (possibly rogue) DHCP.

The 192 address is unusual for church networks as configuration for new/reactivated firewalls was changed to that in the last month or two. So unless the firewall is new/reactivated, I think you've got something else in your network messing things up. Look for consumer routers or access points.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
mitchellreedmiller wrote:If I go to cmd.exe and run ipconfig /all I see that there is an ip address for the network card of 192.XX.XX.XX but nothing for default gateway or DNS server.
That doesn't sound like a self-assigned IP address. Either the computer is set for a static address, or you've got another (possibly rogue) DHCP.
If it were set for a static IP address, then it wouldn't work when the PC is moved to the firewall room.

It sounds more likely that there is some router between the clerk office and the firewall that is issuing a dynamic IP address.

One trouble shooting step is to compare the IP address issued in the firewall room with the IP address issued in the clerk office. That might give some clues about static vs dynamic.
mitchellreedmiller

Post by mitchellreedmiller »

Thanks guys. I guess I will go up there and try the trouble shooting.

I believe the IP is was getting from the server room was 10.XX????, but I don't remember for sure that might have been the one on my phone.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mitchellreedmiller wrote:I believe the IP is was getting from the server room was 10.XX????, but I don't remember for sure that might have been the one on my phone.
That's been the norm for quite awhile. Sounds like you have a "interesting" network. Either it's been constructed with an additional router, or you've got a rogue (unauthorized) device plugged in that's messing things up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”