New feature allows building schedulers to create events

For community testing of Calender releases.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

New feature allows building schedulers to create events

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: this topic was split out from the announcement New Beta 2.7 Ready for Feedback! topic, because it deals with a distinct issue.]
jeffevannelson wrote:Building schedulers may create events associated directly with their assigned building without otherwise needing to be an editor on any regular calendar.
Is this the same as the capability default administrators have for all their public unit calendars?
jeffevannelson wrote:Known Issues are:

• Problems with Building Schedulers Creating Events.
Does this mean that the capability previously mentioned about building schedulers being able to create events does not work yet?
Last edited by aebrown on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Note topic split
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Beta 2.7 Ready for Feedback!

Post by russellhltn »

jeffevannelson wrote:Building schedulers may create events associated directly with their assigned building without otherwise needing to be an editor on any regular calendar.
Can you explain this a little more? What calendars would they have access to? Just stake? All units that meet in that building? Or is this like creating a "blocked" restriction?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

russellhltn wrote:
Can you explain this a little more? What calendars would they have access to? Just stake? All units that meet in that building? Or is this like creating a "blocked" restriction?
There is now a "building Calendar" so Building Schedulers no longer have to have access to a calendar. If they choose to make a "event or Restriction" they can either add it to that default building calendar or to any calendar they have edit rights to.

So Joe is made a building scheduler. He logs onto calendar and he can then add events and restrictions to the building in which he has access. Those are the only events he can make. They will not show up on any calendar other then the locations calendar for that building.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ok, so this isn't really a functionally change, it's more like integrating access to the restrictions calendar into the rest of the calendars. The building scheduler can create an "event" by placing a blocked restriction (just like he/she can now). And no one else can edit that calendar except for a building scheduler, the "event" won't synce and the only way others can see that restriction is by viewing the location. (All of that just like now.)

I did notice that you re-iterated some changes made previously (like giving stake leaders access), so I think that's part of the confusion.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Ok, so this isn't really a functionally change, it's more like integrating access to the restrictions calendar into the rest of the calendars. The building scheduler can create an "event" by placing a blocked restriction (just like he/she can now). And no one else can edit that calendar except for a building scheduler, the "event" won't synce and the only way others can see that restriction is by viewing the location. (All of that just like now.)
The feature that allows building schedulers to create events on a building calendar doesn't work right now, so I can't verify the following. But if I understand it correctly, it is indeed functionally different, because it truly is an event. You put "event" in quotations marks, supposing it is still a restriction. But it's really an event, which is quite different. No other building scheduler can create an event on top of it (but if it were a blocked restriction, any building scheduler would be able to create an event on top of it).

However, your other points are sound. The fact that no one can subscribe to that special building calendar means that it can't sync and is not visible except by viewing the location. So it's a fairly minor upgrade in capability.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:The feature that allows building schedulers to create events on a building calendar doesn't work right now, so I can't verify the following. But if I understand it correctly, it is indeed functionally different, because it truly is an event. You put "event" in quotations marks, supposing it is still a restriction. But it's really an event, which is quite different. No other building scheduler can create an event on top of it (but if it were a blocked restriction, any building scheduler would be able to create an event on top of it).
Not new. It appeared back in May. I believe it correct to continue to call it a restriction as it still appears on the restriction calendar, but blocked restrictions behave more like events. But unlike events, you can sync them, assign editor rights, etc. so I don't think it's right to call it an event.

(I'll also add I don't think "Stake leadership may subscribe to and view calendars of all units within their stakes." is new either.)

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New feature allows building schedulers to create events

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:Not new.
OK, parts of it might be new. Re-reading the thread I see where there was a "future" that hadn't been implemented in May. I guess it gets implemented now. I had it in my mind that "blocked" already behaved like an event.

jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

well blocked events reserved the building for no one. while a event reserves the building for a specific unit. The main change is events can exist but not on any calendar other then the building(location) calendar.

Also to get building schedulers to reserve they no longer have to be a editor were before they would make blocks of time they now simply make a event choose the building and "reserve it" to a unit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jeffevannelson wrote:Also to get building schedulers to reserve they no longer have to be a editor were before they would make blocks of time they now simply make a event choose the building and "reserve it" to a unit.
It may be simpler to do, but I'm still not seeing a change in the end results other than blocked reservations are more reliable when used as a event substitute.

Building Schedulers still can't place an event on any unit calendar unless they also have calendar editor rights. Nor can they "reserve it" for a specific activity - all they can do is keep others from scheduling it or restrict it to a specific unit (but not group).

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Building Schedulers still can't place an event on any unit calendar unless they also have calendar editor rights. Nor can they "reserve it" for a specific activity - all they can do is keep others from scheduling it or restrict it to a specific unit (but not group).
In the 2.7 Announcement, it is specifically noted that a known issue is "Problems with Building Schedulers Creating Events." I've been working under the assumption that the ability for building schedulers to create events is not working at all at this point, but that it is indeed intended to work before the beta concludes.

It would be good to hear a confirmation as to whether that assumption is correct, or if not, under what conditions a building scheduler can now create events.

Return to “Beta Calendar”