Gospel Library 2.5

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
jamarontating

Gospel Library 2.5

Post by jamarontating »

Guys i though the new Gospel library was compatible with my old Ipad but sadly its not. I have deleted my Gospel Library 2.5.. is there anyway that i could download it back to my ipad?

thanks in advance for your help. I really need this for my device.
AsherSoul

Re: Gospel Library 2.5

Post by AsherSoul »

I'm in the same boat, were you able to find a solution?
dewstokes

Post by dewstokes »

Sad that the programmers didn't think of those that still had paid for iPads. Why can they just leave the old version up. It's not like everyone in the world can afford to change devices every time a new one comes out. What happened to frugal living folks?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dewstokes wrote:Sad that the programmers didn't think of those that still had paid for iPads. Why can they just leave the old version up.
I suspect there might be compatibility issues with 2.5 and syncing notations.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

The information that I received was that the play stores only allow one version of an app. So, if an app is updated, the store automatically replaces the old version with the new version. Here's the quote from the facebook page: "...the App Store doesn’t allow us to remove an update or revert to a previous version of the app..." https://www.facebook.com/GospelLibrary
dkswenson

Post by dkswenson »

The kindle application detects that my ipad is old, and automatically asks me if I want to download the last compatible version.... Can we (the LDS developers) find out how to do that too?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Apple has strong policies to weed out low-quality or abandoned apps from its store. To enforce this, Apple requires apps to function well on newer devices, so if a developer doesn't update an app to work with newer standards (for example, screen size/resolution), it is removed. At a certain point, my guess is that Gospel Library 2.5 stopped meeting Apple's standards and also could not be updated, so it was removed.

The situation is a little different for your Kindle app (or other apps) because Gospel Library 3 was released as if it were a different app from Gospel Library 2.5 – so both Gospel Library 2.5 and Gospel Library 3 were listed in the store for a time – probably for this very reason, so people with older devices could download the old version (the new version having new features that weren't compatible with older devices).

Gospel Library 3 was released in June 2013. Apple started allowing people to download the "last compatible versions" of apps (like you can with the Kindle app) in September 2013. Had Gospel Library 3 been released after September 2013, most likely it would be available in the same way the Kindle app is.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

A Google search also turned up this, which was helpful:
https://www.facebook.com/GospelLibrary/ ... 5909582891

It's clear that the developers planned to continue making the app available, so I think the blame rests with Apple.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
JonathanThomasMarshall

Post by JonathanThomasMarshall »

Seems that content is not made available as quickly for this version of the app. As of today, I'm still not seeing the Ezra Taft Benson manual (which most of us should be discussing for the first time today) available for download. I can still get it through lds.org on my browser. But that means I'm dependent on either my building's wifi (generally reliable) or having a data plan (dependent on the quality / coverage of the carrier's network).

Developers, are there different sets of tables that have to be updated for content on version 2.5 versus the more current versions? It would be nice to understand why the content isn't available in the app.

I realize Apple has put you and all developers in a lousy situation here.
JonathanThomasMarshall

Post by JonathanThomasMarshall »

I'd be interested in the answer to my question but the Ezra Taft Benson manual is now available.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”