Audio Levels

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
craiggsmith

Audio Levels

Post by craiggsmith »

It would sure be nice if they normalized the satellite broadcast audio levels. I hate having to go up on the rostrum during a broadcast to adjust the volume.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Audio Levels

Post by russellhltn »

Between the pre-roll and the broadcast, or within the broadcast itself?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I was thinking within the broadcast itself; the speakers vary and the music is usually too soft. It would also be helpful if they increased the organ volume during hymns.

But between the pre-roll and the broadcast would be great too. It would be nice to be able to have a way to set the level an hour before and not have to worry about it.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Really disappointed in the level mismatch between the pre-roll and the broadcast for last night's priesthood session. Had to turn it way up for the actual broadcast.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

IMO, whoever setup our stake center sound system did a great job (or maybe we just got lucky). For nearly all satellite broadcasts, I just turn the pulpit mic adjustment all the way down and crank the satellite sound all the way up. Done. Audio comfortably fills the room(s) without being earstraining or earsplitting.

As a suggestion, for your next broadcast adjust it for the best listening level, then (maybe after the meeting) cut a tiny sliver of masking tape and mark that spot. Aside from the pre-roll, I've found the audio levels to be pretty consistent from broadcast to broadcast. Of course, that won't help if you feel the organ needs to be a bit louder, but at least it should give you a good starting point.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Our system doesn't have a seperate control for the mic - just a master. I assume it would affect the satellite feed as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It might be logical that the pre-roll is at a lower volume. After all, it's prelude.

craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Actually the problem was that the pre-roll was at a higher volume. Usually I just have to turn it up a little when the meeting starts, but this time we could hardly hear the speaker. And I had the music a little louder than I normally do. It would be great if it were softer so we didn't have to change anything, although everyone's opinion of how loud the prelude music should be might be different. I used to have the music even softer, as the language announcement was so loud. It's much better now, although it could still be a little softer.

I usually just leave the main volume at its default level and set the satellite at a little less than 3/4. From a gain structure perspective it makes sense to turn the satellite up and the main down, although I like to leave a little adjustability in both places.

My bigger problem right now is the balance between the cultural hall and chapel is way off, but that's another forum (and a facilities issue).

Return to “Satellite”