MLS for different login users

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
cutharp-p40

MLS for different login users

Post by cutharp-p40 »

We have multiple user accounts set up for windows. One for stake administrator, one for the bishopric, and one for other organizations. MLS works on the bishopric account but it does not work on the organization account. It tries to load resources and then locks up. I don't want to loose access in the bishopric account but want to add access for the other organizations. Where do I start?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would suggest starting with the Desktop 5.5 instructions:
Log on to the computer, using the user name CLERK (...) . This is the computer administrator account. It is also the only account to be used to run MLS. Please do not allow this username or password to be changed.

You should now create a separate Windows administrator account for yourself. If the unit leader has indicated that limited-use or guest-user accounts are needed on the computer, such as for members to use family history programs, you may create them now.

Do not create Windows nonadministrator accounts for anyone who will use MLS. Any attempt to transmit MLS data from a nonadministrator account will result in transmission difficulties.
It's not the ideal security arrangement, but that's what we've been asked to do.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cutharp wrote:MLS works on the bishopric account but it does not work on the organization account.
The CLERK account on the desktop is an administrative account. MLS will work just fine when it is run under that account. The MLS database will not stay intact if you run MLS under different operating system logins.

You can restrict privileges in MLS by using the MLS logins and privilege settings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The MLS database will not stay intact if you run MLS under different operating system logins.
I have not experienced the issue myself (since I followed the rules), but I have noticed that there are .jar files created in the user temporary directory. I think they are Java temp files. Since it's in a User area, each Windows user would end up with their own set of .jar files. It's a possible issue for single Windows user login.

As for sensitive files, I'd suggest they be saved on a flash drive and locked in a drawer rather then rely on user rights.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”