UNABLE TO "ATTACH" WARD NEWSLETTER

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
wjwach44

UNABLE TO "ATTACH" WARD NEWSLETTER

Post by wjwach44 »

I am the ward newsletter editor and have been "attaching" the monthly Newsletter for a year or so. Occasionally, I have been unable to attach it. Then, it will attach on another try. However, I have been trying for 5 days now to "attach" our September Newsletter and keep getting "Error" codes. Is their a problem with the site? Since I have been attaching successfully for a couple of years, I feel there is an issue on the site. Very frustrating.....Please answer.......
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: UNABLE TO "ATTACH" WARD NEWSLETTER

Post by aebrown »

wjwach44 wrote:I am the ward newsletter editor and have been "attaching" the monthly Newsletter for a year or so. Occasionally, I have been unable to attach it. Then, it will attach on another try. However, I have been trying for 5 days now to "attach" our September Newsletter and keep getting "Error" codes. Is their a problem with the site? Since I have been attaching successfully for a couple of years, I feel there is an issue on the site. Very frustrating.....Please answer.......
I don't see any problem with the site. I can upload attachments with no problem.

The question then is what factors are affecting your ability to attach a particular newsletter. Here are some questions to consider:
  • What specifically are the error codes that are displayed?
  • Have you tried to attach again an attachment that worked previously? For example, try to attach the August newsletter, which I assume was already attached successfully. That will help you narrow down whether there is a problem with the particular September file.
  • If there is a problem with just the September file, then look for things that might be different about it: perhaps it is a larger file than usual, or it is named differently, or was done in a different format.
  • Have you tried to attach the September file to a different article? That could help you narrow down whether there might be a problem with the article you are attaching it to (as opposed to the attachment itself).
ryanlefty

Post by ryanlefty »

I'm having the same problem with Chrome and Safari. I just can't get the pdf files to attach with out the ERROR message.
ryanlefty

Post by ryanlefty »

I have now tried having other ward members upload the newsletter (and other files, in case the newsletter pdf was causing a problem) from their computers and various browsers with no success—the ERROR NOT FOUND message still appears.
I'm pretty sure it's an error on the lds.org side.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryanlefty wrote:I'm having the same problem with Chrome and Safari. I just can't get the pdf files to attach with out the ERROR message.
I'm not at all convinced that this is the same problem. As I mentioned, I was able to attach files to an article 3 days ago with no problem at all. The original poster never responded to my questions to supply more details, so it's hard to know what they were experiencing.

But today, I can indeed easily duplicate the issue that happens immediately upon uploading an attachment (even before the article is saved). The error is a 404 File Not Found on https://www.lds.org/member-news/forms/a ... Attachment. That definitely seems like a server-side issue.
ryanlefty

Post by ryanlefty »

So, can I do something differently to make it work?
ryanlefty

Post by ryanlefty »

To answer your specific questions for my difficulties…

What specifically are the error codes that are displayed? I get no error code, except ERROR NOT FOUND

Have you tried to attach again an attachment that worked previously? Yes, 6 past files that have worked will no longer upload.

If there is a problem with just the September file, then look for things that might be different about it: perhaps it is a larger file than usual, or it is named differently, or was done in a different format.
Have you tried to attach the September file to a different article? That could help you narrow down whether there might be a problem with the article you are attaching it to (as opposed to the attachment itself) I have considered file size, but the past files that I have had success with are larger and smaller than this week's files. I have also tried to send a very small file (10k) with the same ERROR NOT FOUND message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryanlefty wrote:So, can I do something differently to make it work?
No. The engineers at the Church would need to fix it.
ryanlefty

Post by ryanlefty »

Do they monitor this forum? Will you tell them?

Also, I have cleared the cache and cookies in my browsers several times, but the NEWSLETTER section exclusively keeps loading in Spanish. I know how to fix the URL code to go back to English, but is there anything else I can do to deal with this problem?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

ryanlefty wrote:Do they monitor this forum? Will you tell them?
It's frustrating to have such problems, we know! Many of us here in the forum are members like yourself, and not church employees or software developers. While a software developer may see it here, they may not. Make sure that you report things like that, in detail, to the "submit feedback" link on LDS.org, and perhaps link back to this thread.

Giving such detailed descriptions of the problem here, however, will help, as it gives many of us an opportunity to try it ourselves, as a community. You might be under a deadline to get your task completed for your ward, and I am sorry for that.

Return to “Newsletter”