GC speakers may now use native language

Seen something newsworthy about the technology that the Church uses? Let everyone else know by posting here.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

GC speakers may now use native language

Post by Mikerowaved »

"Earlier last month rumors were spreading that some general conference speakers would be giving their addresses in their native language.

Turns out the rumor was true."

Full story here:
http://www.ldsliving.com/story/76813
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Re: GC speakers may now use native language

Post by johnshaw »

'Allowed' :)
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Logistically, this announcement will mean some tricky changes for conference translators, who will now need people who can translate between, for example, Spanish and German instead of English and Spanish and English and German.
Glad I'm not in charge of translation work. Not just the translators, but the poor person who has to switch all the audio. Because that potentially means switching translation teams mid-session.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

russellhltn wrote:
Because that potentially means switching translation teams mid-session.
Certainly this will be done from SLC. And I'm sure there is technology for doing with just a button (or two).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marianomarini wrote:And I'm sure there is technology for doing with just a button (or two).
The problem is setting it up and making sure it works properly "when the time comes". Sounds simple, but proper execution is non-trivial. You also have to switch them at the right point - which is to say not mid-sentence.

They're probably looking at a custom-built audio switching/distribution system that the translators control.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

russellhltn wrote:
Logistically, this announcement will mean some tricky changes for conference translators, who will now need people who can translate between, for example, Spanish and German instead of English and Spanish and English and German.
Glad I'm not in charge of translation work. Not just the translators, but the poor person who has to switch all the audio. Because that potentially means switching translation teams mid-session.
Good thing that talks are submitted well ahead of time :)
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:Good thing that talks are submitted well ahead of time :)
There's still that stuff between talks where I think they go "off script".

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
johnshaw wrote:Good thing that talks are submitted well ahead of time :)
There's still that stuff between talks where I think they go "off script".
Any "off script" stuff is extremely rare to nonexistent (at this point) for speakers who are likely to avail themselves of the option to speak in a language other than English. Those speakers get up, give their prepared talk, and sit down. And even if they might have been tempted to say something off script, my bet is that for this conference where this option is first available, they would be instructed to stay on script.

Return to “In The News”