ability to schedule events in our stake calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
marialosaac

ability to schedule events in our stake calendar

Post by marialosaac »

Hi my name is Marialosa Ah Ching. I am the our ward Athletic Director and our Relief Society 1st counselor. I was given access to post even on our ward and stake calendar before but I don't know why I am no longer able to do so. Our bishopric and Ward Clerk are not sure how to fix this issue. So I am turning to you guys for help.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Re: ability to schedule events in our stake calendar

Post by kisaac »

Welcome to the forum! I would start with the help documentation for the calendar.
    General ward and stake members cannot enter any events on their ward or stake calendars. To enter events on a calendar, on the ward level, or on the stake level, you must be an "editor" on that calendar (or a default administrator.) See the calendar "help" files (partly quoted below) and then show this to your bishopric or ward clerk (do you have a ward website administrator?) The last line on the help quoted below is probably the key.
    • Editor Role

Calendar editors can add and manage events on a specific calendar. If you created a calendar (for example, Relief Society calendar), you are automatically added as an editor for that calendar. As an editor, you can designate additional editors for your calendar.

If you used the Initial Setup to create calendars for your ward, the leadership roles appropriate to each calendar were already added. For example, if you created a bishopric calendar, the bishopric, ward executive secretary, and ward clerk are automatic editors for the calendar.

If you think you should be an editor for a calendar but are not, contact an administrator requesting that he or she make you an editor for that calendar.
    russellhltn
    Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Somehow the calendars or at least the permissions to them have been changed. You'll have to work with whoever is administering the calendar for your ward and stake to get your permissions to the ward and stake calendars to be restored.

If they're having problems, send them here with what they're having trouble with and we'll help them out.
    Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
    mwshurtliff

Post by mwshurtliff »

I have a similar question regarding accessing Stake Calendars. For my area, Mutual nights are combined from two wards that share a building, so all the youth from two wards come together. So activities which include Scouts, Venture Crew, Young Women, Activity Days, Cub Scouts, etc are combined. We would like to create a calendar for all the YM/YW activities that is shared between the two wards. The only way we have even come close is to create a Stake Calendar. I have been given admin privileges to that calendar so that I can add activities but I am finding that I can't just "import" those activities. I am having to painstakingly add each event one at a time even though I have them all on an ICal calendar. Is there a way to import iCal to a stake calendar given that I have admin rights to add events to that calendar? Would it be better to have someone on the stake level add them for me? Can the stake give me more admin privileges that would make it easier?

Next Question: Is there a better way? Can we create a calendar that is building based? So any ward that attends that building would be able to see that calendar? Or can I take my Ward's "deacon" calendar or "miamaid" calendar and share it with another ward? This would be more preferred because I can sync with my Ward Calendars, I just don't know how to let the other Ward have access to it and be able to post to it.

Any thoughts? Thank you
    aebrown
    Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mwsheriff wrote:We would like to create a calendar for all the YM/YW activities that is shared between the two wards. The only way we have even come close is to create a Stake Calendar.
    That's correct. Since members can see only events on their own ward's calendars, or on the stake's calendars, the only way for people in two wards to see the same events is for those events to be on a stake calendar.
    mwsheriff wrote:I have been given admin privileges to that calendar so that I can add activities but I am finding that I can't just "import" those activities. I am having to painstakingly add each event one at a time even though I have them all on an ICal calendar. Is there a way to import iCal to a stake calendar given that I have admin rights to add events to that calendar?
    There's an important distinction between admin rights and editor rights. From what you're saying, I'm pretty sure that you have only editor rights to that stake calendar. Admin rights have nothing to do with a particular calendar; if you are a stake admin, then you have rights over all the stake calendars.

If you really had admin rights at the stake level, then you would have an option to import events in bulk. But please note that events imported this way have no information about buildings in them. So you would still have to painstakingly find and then edit every event and put location/room information into them if you need to book the building for those events.
    mwsheriff wrote:Would it be better to have someone on the stake level add them for me? Can the stake give me more admin privileges that would make it easier?
    Either way could work. A stake default admin could grant you admin rights, but that would give you far more privileges than just for this one calendar. The stake leaders might understandably wary of granting such powers to work around one issue.
    mwsheriff wrote:Next Question: Is there a better way? Can we create a calendar that is building based? So any ward that attends that building would be able to see that calendar? Or can I take my Ward's "deacon" calendar or "miamaid" calendar and share it with another ward? This would be more preferred because I can sync with my Ward Calendars, I just don't know how to let the other Ward have access to it and be able to post to it.
    No, there's no way to create a building-based calendar -- only stake or ward calendars. And there's no way to share a calendar with another ward. Those could be very helpful enhancements, but unfortunately there's no option available right now for what you are trying to accomplish except for a stake calendar.

Return to “Calendar”