Extra click for Attachment

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
zaneclark

Extra click for Attachment

Post by zaneclark »

Is it possible to eliminate the extra click needed to open an attachment? Now you have to click attachment and then another click to open the actual attached item. I know this is picky, but I am trying to convince my ward members that it is an easy task to access the online Newsletter instead of the emailed newsletter I used to do, and any extra click is an annoyance to some...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Extra click for Attachment

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:Is it possible to eliminate the extra click needed to open an attachment? Now you have to click attachment and then another click to open the actual attached item. I know this is picky, but I am trying to convince my ward members that it is an easy task to access the online Newsletter instead of the emailed newsletter I used to do, and any extra click is an annoyance to some...
I don't see how there's an extra click, once you understand that an article might have multiple attachments. I see two possible enhancements you might be suggesting:
  • Always (or at least initially) leave the list of attachments expanded. This would certainly have the virtue of allowing a single click to open an attachment, but it would mean that more screen real estate would be used for attachments. That's probably not a big deal if there are one or two attachments, but in an article with 10 attachments, the remaining UI elements below the attachments (I believe this is just the the category links), would be shoved down quite a ways.
  • Create a special case for when an article has a single attachment. I suppose this could go two ways; you could always leave the list expanded (indeed, the attachment header could be removed completely and the single attachment displayed, which would take the same real estate as the current header), or you could click on the attachment header and since there's only one attachment, blindly open the attachment. I don't like the second option, so I hope you're suggesting the first one.
Is that what you're talking about?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Yes, the first option would be great! As I said, less clicking makes more people happy. I will suggest the option in feedback.
mevans

Post by mevans »

You can always post an image of the newsletter and attach the PDF. This way people will see the image instantly, but if they want the PDF, they can download it.

Return to “Newsletter”