Browser support in LCR site (Leader and Clerk Resources)

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jkentner

Browser support in LCR site (Leader and Clerk Resources)

Post by jkentner »

A Meetinghouse Technology newsletter dated 9/3/14 stated this:

"Be aware that computers using the Windows XP operating system will not be able to upgrade to the most recent version of IE and will need to use Google Chrome to access LCR."

My question is, does that mean that LCR will not work with Firefox on Windows XP machines? Most of our machines in the stake are XP and have the latest version of Firefox...
gregwanderson

Re: Browser support in LCR site (Leader and Clerk Resources)

Post by gregwanderson »

Before Microsoft dropped its support of XP they already created a new version of Internet Explorer that was not backward compatible with XP. So, for a while already, the church's websites weren't working well with XP systems using any outdated version of Internet Explorer. If you're able to use current versions of web browsers on XP then I would guess you won't have a problem using church websites. I'm not sure why they're suggesting Chrome as the only one you should be using with XP.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The only problem I have had with Firefox is that the Church logo does not appear here at the Forum. Other than that, I have been able to do everything else.

All of our units running XP (which is still all of them) are using Firefox without problem. I hope it stays that way.

I have noticed that many Church web pages display differently in Firefox than they do when I use IE from work. I guess there are different formatting (css?) pages and the browsers handle things differently. The same information seems to be on the page. I just have to look in different places to find it if I am using a different browser.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I have noticed that many Church web pages display differently in Firefox than they do when I use IE from work.
I've noticed a difference in the forum logo between church and home - even on the same browser. I think it's network related.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jcutright

Post by jcutright »

What about Safari? Will we be able to use Apple products?
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

@mrrad I understand that the website didn't work with IE8 on XP that is why we use Firefox. In the letter they just sent out, it indicates new changes to LCR through 2015. A lot of clerk machines have Firefox on them if they are XP. Further, leaders will likely do a lot of work from home. They maybe using IE11, they maybe using Safari, they maybe using Firefox also. They make is sound like the only browser that will be supported with LCR is Chrome. Just seems odd.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It should be noted that the message was specific for clerk computers running XP. While I can see that raising a question for other users, that really is a different question. It could be a machine-side support issue, or as simple as the desire to keep the transmitted message simple.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jcutright

Post by jcutright »

heck Russellhtn,

So i guess i am still confused? Are only Chrome and IE browsers supported?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

jcutright wrote:heck Russellhtn,

So i guess i am still confused? Are only Chrome and IE browsers supported?
In RKAT it states that Firefox is also authorised for Clerk computers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jcutright wrote:So i guess i am still confused? Are only Chrome and IE browsers supported?
I don't have an answer. What I can say is:
  • IE8 (The highest level of IE available on WinXP machines) is not supported.
  • Chrome is supported for user on WinXP machines.
I wouldn't try to read into it anything more then that.

Now, there may be a preferred browser, meaning the browser the developer use and the one least likely to have "browser bugs". But looking in help and release notes, I'm not seeing any list of supported/unsupported browsers.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”